Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
considering one of these for soft top application. I have mirror mounted to windshield and works fine but vibrates a lot, suggestions, does the rod mounted mirro vibrate a lot???

·
Registered
4,498 Posts

·
Always changing something
223 Posts
Same for me as for BigLeo69. I got a day/night glue-on for $9.99 at Wallmart.com just to see if I would like the windscreen mount. I do, so now I'm waiting for Santa to bring a nice polished billett model.

·
Junior Charter Member
650 Posts
I have a rod mounted rear view mirror and it certainly vibrates. I am going to try to dampen it by taping some lead to it, I think that should help some but I don't think it will eliminate it completely. I will post again the next time I drive although it might be spring.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I had a Summit billet windshield glue-on mirror that was rock solid-then I switched to a lexan windshield-and made a top mount for the mirror similar to the billet one sold by a vendor here-switched to the FFR mirror that came with the kit-now it vibrates most of the time-luckily my side mirrors (motorcycle style) work great. The lexan windshields do have flex as compared to glass-mainly at the very center- so if you have lexan there will be flex and vibration.

Bob

·
Registered
181 Posts
considering one of these for soft top application. I have mirror mounted to windshield and works fine but vibrates a lot, suggestions, does the rod mounted mirro vibrate a lot???
I have the center rod and mirror that I bought from Finishline and initially it vibrated quite a bit. I needed to remove my windscreen last year to replace a cracked windshield (yup, I'm one of the lucky ones that has had 2 cracked windshields) so I decided to see if I could improve the vibrations. In the end, I put a small piece of rubber between the hook end of the rod and the windshield frame, then tightened the adjusting nut until there was a fair amount of tension. This helped immensely and now I love the mirror mounted on the top of the rod. Still vibrates a little but not nearly as much as it did originally.
HTH
Mike

·
Registered
6,089 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dark Water Customs mount here as well. Vibration is minimal, and visibility is good.

The only issue with the DWC mount is it cant be used with a soft top, which is the OP's intention according to his original post. The rod mounted mirror allows access to the top channel in the windsiled frame to insert the header bows of the top.

Just my 2 cents...

Mike

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
The only issue with the DWC mount is it cant be used with a soft top, which is the OP's intention according to his original post. The rod mounted mirror allows access to the top channel in the windsiled frame to insert the header bows of the top.

Just my 2 cents...

Mike
Good point. Always make sense to read a thread from the beginning before posting. Sorry about that. :sad:

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes I have lexan windshield and no issues with it, but I have a large billet mirror that the mount may be to flexible and maybe why I get vibration, it is only on highway above 40-50 makes seeing the troopers difficult :)

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,619 Posts
Mine does not but I have it slid all the way toward the top. The key is to glue a small piece of rubber on the mirror where it contacts the glass.

If your WS vibrates, then you will have to fix that before going with a WS mounted mirror.

Greg

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
I had one, and yes it shook a lot, but I did not have any contact with the windsheild where the mirror mounts as suggested. I sold the car and the new owner does not complain about it.

·
Premium Member
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How does the small Ffr mirror work up there??

·
Senior Charter Member
6,409 Posts
Upper Mounted Mirror

Larry,

Do you mean the FFR mirror on a Dark Water style mirror mount, or adapting the FFR mirror to mount to the rod?

Regards, Rick.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have the small FFR supplied mirror mounted at the top of the glass using a Superformance stick on mount and it works like a charm. It does not vibrate and I have good rearward viability.

The two clamp on Peep mirrors give me good side viability. The peep mirrors are manufactured by United Pacific and the right side is convex. The U-P brand is good quality, the first set I had were junk...very poor quality glass that was very distorted and the glass actually fell of of one of them.

Jack

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am in the process of deciding on a mirror for the cockpit. I've read on the forums that the stock dash mount FF mirror has limited viewing, some of the top mounts vibrate, etc.

Has anyone used a stick-on mount directly on the windshield?

Here's one from Jegs that may work. Wisdom is always appreciated ;-)

Trans Dapt 6975 Trans Dapt Mirrors - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

..Jim

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,808 Posts
I had all three, standard from FFR, Dark Waters and the slide mount. Dark Waters was the best but I wanted better. Therefore, I had a friend make a 2" pedestal that I put between the body and the original mirror. I then bolted it through the mirror, pedestal and the frame hoop. Using a spacer between the body and the frame I tightened the unit down and now little or no vibration.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.