Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man I wish I still lived there to help you. What kind questions do you have.
Thanks for your response. the two areas Im wandering around are, Engine and the rear end components. the car will be used on the street so a small block would be the way Im going. would you pass on what you recommend and the package you have in your cobra?

·
Registered
361 Posts
No problem. Mk3.1. I have a 351W bored and stroked to 410 cu. We have a tko600 but I have been looking at the tkx as a possible replacement. The reason is that the tko 600 seeps fluid. I think the tkx fixed with a different sealing method.
The engine has AFR 185 heads, a comp cam camshaft, and MASS-FLO efi system. It is plug and go system. For a first generation system, it's still darn good.

The rear suspension is 3-link.
In the rear I have a 8.8 ford rear end. Over the last year I replaced the, differential with a Eaton true trac, the gears went from 3.73 to a 3.31. and the lower arms are from levy racing. I used to have a rear swaybar in the rear, but it was very loose and this new set up give me a lot more traction.

Up front I have a swaybar. I can't remember the family that makes them. they are a vendor here.
Edit: Vintage Performance Motorcars

I just replaced the tank for a boyd fabrications 20 gal unit. It's great. I had to used straps but for the mkIV I think you can bolt it to the frame.

·
Registered
83 Posts
SMC,
I live in the MID-west, but go home to visit my relatives in Montana and Idaho. I just finished my MKIV in July. I have a Blueprint 302 320hp with a 5 speed T5 transmission and an 8.8 Ford posi rear end with 3.55 gears(highly recommend). I went with the 3 point setup as well. After talking with quite a few folks the independent rear just didn't add that much for the normal driver. Also less expensive and easier to setup. The car is so light this is plenty of power for me. I can get from 0-60 in the low 4 sec range and I'm very much an amateur. I drive it a lot and lets face it, 95% of the time your going to be driving < 80-90 mph so you might as well build it for what you will be driving most of the time so it is enjoyable.

I bought my 8.8 from a junk yard for $100 and put all new parts inside with thicker axles for $1200. All from Summit Racing. I highly recommend them as well.
I bought the t5 tranny on ebay. It was completely rebuilt for higher HP engines for $1800 to my door. (that included shipping).
The Blueprint engine was $5250 to my door. I talked them into free shipping and break in oil and it has a $50,000 mile warranty.
Everyone forgets about the cost of wheels and tires so throw another $1500-$2500 in for those. Unless you go for the Halibrands then you'll pay closer to $3500

I don't track my MKIV, so I don't need all the crazy race setup and 500+hp that I'll never use. It's a blast to drive on country roads. The T5 shifts wonderfully and you don't feel like you just did your leg day workout when your done driving.

The thing that shocked me the most was the paint! I did all the body work myself. The paint itself will set you back about $2k. I found a retired old shop teacher ( a friend of my dads) in the Phoenix area to paint mine for $1200, but that is very rare case. The lowest estimate I found around Indianapolis to paint mine within my timeline was $13,000. There are folks around the US that will do your body work and paint together and are reasonable but they usually have a long wait time so if you are serious then get on their schedule early. If you spend a few hours a day you can complete all the rolling chassis in anywhere from 3-9 months. I did mine in 6.

One last thing. I highly recommend attending one of build schools for the MKIV. They are well worth the price and you'll even get a discount off of your kit once you order. :)

Just my 2 cents.
Tom

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: postal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply from all of you. The excitement of building the car is one of the important aspects that Im looking forward to. I just sold my 1965 Nova Wagon with a period correct 327 build up to about 350 hp. It had a lumpy cam and you could hear me a few block away coming down the street. This brings me to what engine to put into a build MK4, how much hp, and is keeping the period correct look and sound the way to go. The 306 with fuel injection from Blue Print in my reading seams to be a challenge to get the FI to unite with the engine, not sure why. Also looked to slide into a Coyote 5 engine with all the modern convenances that comes with that. Now the comments of putting in a more reasonable engine like the 302 is interesting.
You can see Im all over the board on this power plant subject. Not having cars to drive with different power plants to help decide makes it tough.
The end use of the car is to spend time on the road driving it, Im sure the track experience will most likely never happen.
Please pass on any additional information you can or sites that could help.
SMC

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have two FFR cars that I only use on the street. Both cars are fully set up for street driving with fuel injection and a suspension on the softer side. The Cobra is a MKII with a 302 with some head work, T5 and the IRS. My guess is that the hp is in the 250-300hp range. The 33 Hot Rod has a Coyote, T56, IRS and has been dyno'd to 400 ft lbs at the wheels. Both cars are wonderful and I love them both for what they are. My goal is 3-5k miles a year on each of them. I can say when I reach for the keys, I will reach for the Cobra first.. Sure the Hot Rod with 150-200 more hp is faster, but I just like driving the Cobra more. I know that if I were to build a MK4 now, I would get the Coyote with the go big HP attitude, which would be a shame because of how much Iove driving the old 302.

I ran into Dave and crew at SEMA this year and thanked them for this video.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have two FFR cars that I only use on the street. Both cars are fully set up for street driving with fuel injection and a suspension on the softer side. The Cobra is a MKII with a 302 with some head work, T5 and the IRS. My guess is that the hp is in the 250-300hp range. The 33 Hot Rod has a Coyote, T56, IRS and has been dyno'd to 400 ft lbs at the wheels. Both cars are wonderful and I love them both for what they are. My goal is 3-5k miles a year on each of them. I can say when I reach for the keys, I will reach for the Cobra first.. Sure the Hot Rod with 150-200 more hp is faster, but I just like driving the Cobra more. I know that if I were to build a MK4 now, I would get the Coyote with the go big HP attitude, which would be a shame because of how much Iove driving the old 302.

I ran into Dave and crew at SEMA this year and thanked them for this video.
Thanks for the response as this question is still in the air. With my past car I did love to drive it with some energy driving through the gears but it was so loud. Looking at the Coyote package there is still a rich sound even though it will not produce the period correct sound , but its still a great roar that is pleasing. In the video they said about 50% of the cobras are installing the Coyote and your comment if building a MK4 you would choose the Coyote. What aspects of that engine interests you or would maybe improve the ride that you would choose to pick up the cobra keys over the hot rod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts