Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experiment with steering racks other than the 5.0L Mustang or flaming river?

The reason I ask is that I have owned several different FOX body 5.0L mustangs and the steering feel was pretty bad. I had a C5 Corvette that was pretty fun with good feel, and a Toyota Altezza Z-edition (Lexus IS300) that was just awsome.

With all the talk of how great the BWM 3 series steering and handling are, has anyone tried using a 3-series rack or suspension? What about another car?

If there are any suspension/steering/handling experts out there, I'd love to hear some opinions. Also if anyone can recommend a good book on the subject I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

-AL

·
15,282 Posts
I'm with Wayne...even my budget-donor FFR build with the factory power rack has great steering response. If anything, it's a little TOO sharp!

I know Backdraft Racing uses BMW 3-series suspension and brake components on their rolling chassis. I never thought to ask whether they use the BMW steering rack as well.

Your comment is interesting, since most people have really started dogging on BMW for their Active Steering products, claiming no predictability and feel. I love the rack in my M5 -- good feedback, easy to drive.

Cheers, John

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
most of the sloppy steering feel in the fox is due to chassis flex and weight.
I agree. From the factory, my fox TBird was very sloppy and flexable. I added some chassis reinforcement, a Maximum Motorsport K member and coilovers, a panhard bar, and a 2000 Cobra steering rack. The steering is now very direct and stable, on ramps can be taken 20 to 30 mph faster than before the mods.

·
Charter Member
6,152 Posts
the bimmer rack probably is $$$$

·
Junior Charter Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. It's good to hear the FFR 65 Roadsters are tight.

I enjoyed the 5.0L Mustangs but never knew how good steering feel and handling can be until I owned some good foriegn cars and drove several others.

I remember being very impressed with the BMW Z3 and I hear it is no where near as good as the M3.

I also just love the Toyota Altezza's steering feel. It is so communicative and precise! You can really feel how the tires were gripping the road, and how close they are to breaking free.

Compared to my 2001 C5 the Toyota had better steering feel, but the vette was close and felt much more sure footed at the limit, and more stable at high speed.

The vette's advantage was probably due to being lower with a slightly longer wheel base, as well as lower cg and better weight distro.

Makes me wonder though, what is different about the Toyota steering system and suspension that make it so good?

I wish I could find a good book about suspension design. I bought "Competition car Suspension" by Alan Staniforth and it was more of a suspension history lesson than how suspensions should be tuned.

-AL

·
5,559 Posts
The "bible" of suspension/chasis design is called "Race Car Vehicle Dynamics" by Milliken & Milliken. I don't think a more definitive text exists anywhere! The only thing is - it's not cheap! You can get it on Amazon.com, or sometimes on Ebay.

Brian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts