Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Charter Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we just got back from a 2,800+ mile road trip in FFR3865....all without a top. Always wanted to do a long trip in a mid-60's sportscar and I finally did.
The flashing lights, blasting air horns and thumbs-up all increase exponentially on a long trip......GOTTA LOVE IT.......

Some things I learned from this trip:
1- Cobra Earl's footwell vents work GREAT and are a must in hot weather.
2- Phillip Deal's "quick tonneau" keeps the interior dry in torrential downpours.
3- For the original look but also with comfort, the Sube Classic seats did the trick.
4- Some people warned about driving the Cobra in the rain. In the 125 miles that we did in a downpour the trick is to simply slowdown, it's really not that bad driving the speed limit.
5- In the rain, in a Cobra with no top, when a transport truck passes you, the interior of the windshield gets almost as wet as the exterior.
6- When driving all day in the sunshine, remember to put on sunscreen before 3:00 PM.
7- Cobras ride for free on some toll roads...nice toll booth collector.
8- I'D DO IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT !!!!

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Got to hand it to you....It took guts...I debated whether to drive the 1400 miles round trip to DVSF, but , in the end , decided to trailer.....Turned out to be a good decision, since we hit torrential rains coming back through the N.C. mountains...Blinding rain , even in the van....The "wipe , drive , and shift" routine is just more than this ol body can take....
Of course , you can always wear goggles with built in wipers.(LOL)

·
2,071 Posts
Goerge,
I got your email, sounds like the trip was great. I wouldn't mind trying a trip like that but I have to admit that there is no way the wife would go along. she likes the confort of the toe vehicle after about 100 miles.

·
Banned
426 Posts
Dito what Turkey master said

WHERE ARE THE PICS????????????????????????

:D ;) :confused:

·
Charter Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have pictures of:
Uncles in the Cobra
Aunts in the Cobra
Cousins in the Cobra
Friends in the Cobra
Friends' girlfriends in the Cobra
Daughter's friends in the Cobra
Son's friends in the Cobra

Figured you wouldn't be interested in these.......

Oh and did I mention I never learned how to post pictures........

Posi

·
Senior Charter Member
3,595 Posts
Great pictures and story George. Viv is now a certified SAINT. You'll be our inspiration to GO!

·
Junior Charter Member
4 Posts
Hi George and all,
I'm the guy in George's Cobra in the photo from Kitchener. Thanks for letting me take it out for a blast. Its amazing how people react when they hear and then see a FFR. I must take my hat off to George but even more to his wife Viv for taking this trip. She deserves an award as the best wife in the world. The fact that she went through this trip is impressive, but she also did it with George!!!! Kidding aside, it was great to have them visit George...route 66, I'm in.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Wow, imagine having to trailer that snake all over Canada so you could take those pictures! (he, he) Good story. Great pics. There should be some kind of award for accomplishing that kind of trip in a car that only has room for a change of underwear in the trunk. :D

Thanks for the pics.

·
5,042 Posts
George, congrats on a successfull trip; the pics are great, especially the 'Arret' which adds a bit of International flavor.

I'm very pleased that FFR3865 is finally getting the use she deserves. She was built with care to provide trouble free motoring. I'm proud to have built such a vehicle and am so pleased that she has fallen into the hands of an enthusiast such as yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
That musta been a blast, You are da-Man

I hope to someday get the nerve to do a trip like this.

·
Charter Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I must admit that it was actually Viv's idea to do the trip topless......I questionned numerous times if she was sure and she kept saying yes.....so we did it....WHAT A WIFE !! (32 years and counting)

Hey and never mind the "Arret" sign look closely at the street signs.
Ch. Roberts = Chemin Roberts = Roberts Road

Yep that's our road....a little bit of pride here

George "Positraktion" Roberts

·
12,637 Posts
Great Story....

Now go to Jeffs and get a top..
That top will help EXTEND the driving season this winter.. kind of tuff driving in the rain when the temp is in the thirtys. :(

Oh yeah, I'll buy you beer for that FREE PLUG about the foot box vents.

cobraearl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts