Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Captain
11,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of driving my Cobra back to Chapel Hill from Chicago. My dog is a 55lb lab mix and I just took him for a short ride.

The sound of the car didn’t bother him at all. But he’s too big to lie down in the passenger seat and can’t imagine he’d be comfortable sitting up for the 13 hour drive.

Thinking about taking out the passenger seat and putting a small dog bed down on the floor. Then he can sit or lie down. Of course we’d make stops for him to walk around and do his business along the way.

Wondering if being out in the sun all day would be bad for him though. Anyone take their dog on an all day road trip in their cobra?

Duke is the one on the right. No way my other one would fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jhargrove

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
It would make me nervous. Maybe you can put a small kennel there for him to get out of the sun and even put a couple holes in the bottom and bolt it down like you do the seat on the seat mounts

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Or maybe fashion some type of umbrella or pull over canopy. that you can pull over his doggie bed.

That way he can't climb on top of the kennel

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Oh ya, dogs can't be in the sun.:confused:
The real issue is will he stay down, and not do the dog thing of sticking his head out as far as he can?

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
You might try to send Ralph Button a PM. He used to take his dog on some of his trips.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Following this thread.... I was thinking of doing the same for my 55lb lab and making the passenger seat removable. My plan is to install a dog harness to prevent her from jumping out or getting curious (in theory you’re supposed to use this even in your daily driver but none of us do). My wife wasn’t amused that my first priority is figuring out to get the dog in vs. make her comfortable....but she did get it....

As for weather, I’m not too worried about the sun, just the overall temperature, but no different than if you were outside in your backyard. If it was an 80+ day I wouldn’t want to be out for hours and hours (she’s a black lab).

Good luck!

·
Charter Member
1,020 Posts
Dan, Hi, it's been 12 years since we were turning around the tracks in FL. I've often thought about taking our dog on a ride, but each time the car starts it freaks him out - 3 dogs in the last 15 years or more. I guess not all dogs are the same but most I've seen are very nervous with the noise these cars make. Just something to think about. I would definitely make absolute sure the dog could not even reach up enough to get paws on top of the door. Use a harness or closed inside a pet carrier that is strapped down.
Robert

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,315 Posts
He absolutely needs to have shade. And air. Do you have a footbox air vent? I am trying to picture some type of shade and everything I think of might also reduce the air movement.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sounds like a fun road trip. My dog hates the Cobra. He even knows the sound of the car keys. When I pick up the Cobra keys, he starts barking.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Most of us wear some type of hearing protection. How would the noise affect your dog?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts