Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE:

The trip is still on, and we're leaving in 12 hours time, but with one Cobra and one Ford Explorer due to an unfortunate engine failure for Travis. :(

The plan:
Drive 2 newly finished FFR Cobras from Calgary to San Diego and back.

The drivers:
Steve & Ash Baird (Ghibli Cup)
Travis & Monique Baker (POL3580)

The cars:

Now...

The route:

July 15: Calgary to Butte
July 16: Butte to Salt Lake City
July 17: Salt Lake City to Las Vegas
July 18: Las Vegas
July 19: Las Vegas to Santa Monica
July 20: Santa Monica to San Diego
July 21: San Diego
July 22: San Diego to Fresno
July 23: Fresno to Yosemite
July 24: Yosemite to Napa Valley
July 25: Napa Valley to San Francisco
July 26: San Francisco
July 27: San Francisco to La Pine
July 28: La Pine to Spokane
July 29: Spokan to Calgary

This should be a true adventure! If anyone wants to join us on-route please do.

This should be a lot of fun.....

Cheers,

Steve

[ July 14, 2007, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Ghibli Cup ]

·
Charter Member
1,065 Posts
We should have a party in San Diego A! Pete, Mike, Sergio, Ken everyone else....what do you guys think? Show a little Southern Cal hospitality. I would be willing to host. Karl

·
Junior Charter Member
849 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun. I've always had a dream (or goal?) to drive a Cobra from Wisconsin to Key West. Now that I have the car.....time to plan the trip!

Side note - what size tires are you guys running front / rear & what wheels?

I'm starting to put together a database of photos with wheel / tire sizes.

The cars look awesome BTW!

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
25,974 Posts
Ear plugs. Don't forget the earplugs. Have a great time!

Greg

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the offer guys we are in for the BBQ and beers in San Diego. Steve, Ash, Monique and I are exited to come down and visit our southern FFR mates. We will bring down some strong Canadian beer for you for fellas.

Travis

·
Junior Charter Member
1,164 Posts
Go for it steve!!!

Check out the shelby american while in vegas I took the tour last time i was there.

Jimmy O

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
alright !

that is quite a drive, I've done it but in an enclosed vehicle, most of Montana and Canada was under snow thought. This time is the best time of the year to do this !

I'm all for it. Karl, count me and possibly Ken, Pete, Forrest, Ian and many others to attend ! especially if it is on a Saturday !

Steve, what size are those rims? 18s? or 17s?

·
Charter Member
1,065 Posts
Let's start a list of who's in. I think Costco pizza and beverages Saturday at noon or whatever works for Steve and Travis. Karl in El Cajon, about 10 miles east of San Diego.

·
15,282 Posts
Sounds like a heck of a great trip. Definitely pack ear plugs and rain gear -- you never know what you're going to hit when you're out for that long.

My longest single-day trip on the Cobra is 1,063 miles, from Houston to the Colorado mountains. In that one drive, I had sunny and humid temperatures over 100 degrees, all the way down to about 30 degrees and snow over Hoosier Pass. It was quite the experience. I arrived exhausted and filthy from the drive, but I can't remember the last time I felt that ALIVE!

Cheers, John

·
Senior Charter Member
3,613 Posts
We just finished 2800 miles in 14 days, but we were on a sight seeing tour not your marathon drive.
Wonderful adventure. Go for it, Steve.
Schedule a couple full body massages before your return.
Ear plugs and a couple tarps with spring clips.

We'll need to have stories with photos upon your return. You'll be setting a high bar for the rest of us and showing the versatility of the FFR.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys!

We're really looking forward to this and it would be great to catch up with some other builders down in San Diego. Saturday sounds good

Sergio: I'm running 17" FFR wheels (orange car) with 315/35 on the rear and 255/40 on the front, Goodyear Eagle F1-G3's.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon, but for now it's back to being a Cowboy at the Calgary Stampede! Yahoo...

Cheers,

Steve

·
Senior Charter Member
3,613 Posts
I didn't mention before.....SUNSCREEN.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Take a video cam with you!
Wish I could just take a 4,000 mile trip!!!! :D

·
8,356 Posts
When you approach NAPA give us a call, Deb and I will drive up in MII FFR5004 and have dinner with you. Dale 707-748-0300.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
If you're into sea food while in S.F. and want to NOT be in the tourist area, head out to 34th Ave. and Geary Blvd. (wear earplugs if you're taking Geary Blvd. from downtown to the beach because there are 2 underpasses that will echo the exhaust quite a bit!)

The Pacific Cafe is a great little seafood restaurant that's out of the way. Finding parking on a Thursday night shouldn't be too bad; there's no parking lot but the area is primarily residential. If by chance you're left waiting outside in line (there's usually a line Fri.-Sun. nites) they server you wine for free.

Post dinner, stay on Geary and head west until you hit the beach; you'll run into the old remains of the Cliff House/Sutro baths on the way down the curvey road to the beach. You can hang out on the beach and if timing is good, you'll catch the sunset. :D

I've been to the Pacific Cafe a couple of times when I was growing up in SF. Too bad you're leaving before the weekend. There's a couple of nice brunches in SF as well ( Cityscape at the top of the Hilton, and Cliff House near Lands End).

Have a blast!

·
Junior Charter Member
166 Posts
If you guys have the time you should definitely take a trip through the Valley of Fire park just outside of Vegas. It's an unreal road: twisty, elevation changes, fantastic pavement compared to most of Canada. Not to mention the scenery is stunning, and it's right by the Hoover Dam. I did that drive in a 15 passenger van towing a 30 foot trailer with a racecar in it, and it was still super fun! It's one of the coolest roads I've seen and it just begs for a cobra to tear it up. Just make sure you have enough fuel!

Kenneth (hijacking dad's account)

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Outstanding! Wish we could join you. Not quite enough miles on the car to trust it with that much of a trip though...

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Guys,

We have about 1600km on her now, and I'm going round checking everything before we leave on Sunday. She's booked in for a tune / dyno tomorrow morning, so should be all good and ready to go!

4 days and counting......

Cheers,

Steve

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,065 Posts
Steve -- You huys cannot get into Napa Valley without driving past my Business ib napa. Drop by on your way in or out of town and I will donate a couple bottles of Napa's best BBQ sauce and Pasta Sauce. Call about half hour before you hit Napa. I'll give ya my direct line to avoild the querries about who is it and what's it about. Please drop by. My wife has family in Calgary and would love to say "Hey".
Brian 707-603-7154 - Front number is
707-252-9463 . Brian

1 - 20 of 38 Posts