1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Justa Member
1,225 Posts
So far mine consists of a AAA card

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
I've gone from a mini tool kit, jack, donut spare etc to a cell phone, AAA card and if close enough, a call to the wife at home to come with the trailer. So far, I've only run out of gas (doooh) once. Something about not trusting the gas gauge that was near empty.....

·
Registered
366 Posts
Scott--I think it depends on your planned cruising grounds. Next Tuesday I am starting a 1,700 trip bringing my Roadster from WI to NM and driving all but less than 100 miles on secondary roads. Therefore, I am taking a pretty extensive kit. I will find time later to post what, etc. There are a few unique items and it ended up very compact the way I packaged it.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
After my "experience" with the loss of oil pressure , leaving me stranded , and the trouble getting on the roll-back...I am now carrying a double-hook tow strap , and have added a pair of tow-eye-bolts to the front of the chassis , to hook them to....
You don't want tobaccy-chewing Harold to hook up with a chain to your brand new Flaming River rack...do you? :eek:

·
Junior Charter Member
190 Posts
AAA is great, but sometimes waiting for them is not. When I go on a road trip, I simply pack a small floor jack (scissor jacks should be outlawed!), a can of fix-a-flat, a flashlight, and a spotlight- in the event you get stuck on the side of a dark road to change a tire.

Very simple things, but it seems it's usually the simple things that leave you stranded. Anything else, its AAA and the cell phone.

Greg

·
Registered
366 Posts

My idea was to carry as much for possibly for emergencies and pack it as compactly as possible since space is at a premium, particularly if you are traveling a distance and need to carry other stuff.

The photo (if you can see it--this is my first attempt to post a photo) shows my tool kit which measures 22”x14”x6”. Since mine is a Mk I without a hoop I needed to try and keep it less than 6” so I could get it on the shelf. I used a backpacking compression bag to snug it up as compactly as possible.

If making roadside repairs you will need ground or fender covers etc. as well. I made a tool roll that stores them compactly, keeps them from rubbing/rattling and doubles for a fender cover or big rag. I took a large bath towel and had someone sew velcro on both sides of the long edges. In other words, along the entire length of the long edges, have the loop strip sewed on one side and right behind it on the other side sew the hook strip (total 4 strips). Lay the towel out and place some tools along the short side of the towel at one end. Fold it over those tools and lay another row of tools and continue rolling it in such a way that a layer of towel separates them. As you roll it the velcroed edges of the towels are closing on themselves so no tools can slide out of the end. I have the wrenches inside a slotted tool roll and the sockets on strip holders and nearly everything else is simply rolled in the towel. In it is a flashlight, fuses, adjustable wrenchs (2), different style pliers(3), screwdrivers (multitips), small hammer, Leatherman multi tool, set of combination wrenches, ¼ and 3/8 drive sockets (lug size too), hex wrenches, Tire puncture repair kit (plug), zip ties, and baling wire.

Along side the tool roll in the compression bag are duct tape, electrical tape, serpentine belt, TFI module and tool, hose clamps, TYVEK ground sheet that can double as a cover if caught in the rain or lying on the ground, hand towels, 1/2 Ton Scissor jack, small 12V compressor, Gojo hand cleaner, Mylar bag from box wine as an emergency water carrier, small set of jumper cables and pieces of truck tire inner tube cut for chafe guard if you need to be cinched down on a tow truck bed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts