Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to confirm the ride height for a Mark IV with stock suspension supplied from FFR. Where is it measured and what are the dimensions from I assume the front and rear frame tubes

Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
Also factored into that is where you want the tires to ride in the wells once the body is on there. I started at 4" frame to ground and ended up going a bit higher.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Ride height is going to vary depending on if you went with 15, 17, or 18 inch rims. My MK4 with 17 inch Halibrand replicas and 255/40 front and 295/35 rear sat much lower than a friends car that used 15 inch halibrands. He also had 295s on the back, just not sure front tires or aspect ratios which were likely 50 or 60 series. His car looked as if it sat 2 inches higher than mine.

That said, my ground clearance at the front cross member in the 4 inch tubes was 4 1/2 inches without the driver. It was a bit over 5 inches in the back below the 4 inch tubes. The car sat very low with some issues with a bit of dragging the side pipes over speed bumps. However, the lower ride height also made for great handling. I looked at how the tires filled the wheel wells as well as tire clearance. I think 4 1/2 inches at the front is a good place to start, but would not go lower for a street car.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Mark from Breeze mentioned that ride height is measured with 1/2 tank gas and driving sitting in the front seat. Does this mean DS front shock needs to be set differently than PS?

·
Not a waxer
11,879 Posts
. Does this mean DS front shock needs to be set differently than PS?
If you are going strictly on ride height BUT if you do this chances are that your corner weights will start to get jacked up. That's why I said "approximately" in my response above. It's more important from a chassis balance standpoint to have the springs equal than it is to have the ride heights dead nuts even side to side. I've found that if you adjust the springs so that the same amount of sleeve is showing side to side the ride height might be off just a little---like about 1/8" to 3/16"---but the weights will be darn near spot on.

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts