Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, this is my first time posting. and came here hoping to find my answer in a back search, but havent come up with anything yet so i figured i'd post my head scratcher... got alittle story

Im into the car scene and my father has built a few cobra kits years ago, well now with the new MA emissions things have died down. i got to talking with a guy today about the kit cars and how hard it is to register them now, well he started talking to me about his friend...

his friend owns a body shop in RI and has built a few kit cars, he uses a repair plate on them and drives them around

now my story, here in MA, we cannot use a repair, or dealer plate on a vehicle without any VINs... so i told him how his friend is still driving illegally, and he insisted his friend looked into it and everything is ok

My quesiton in Rhode island, can u drive a vehicle legally on a repair plate without the vehicle having any VIN numbers?

im asking because im pretty sure i am correct and its still illegal, if u can drive around with a repair plate without VIN numbers, that means i could drive my lawnmower to work tomorrow in RI as long as i borrow a RI repair plate?

if anyone could clear this up for me so i can have some self gratification it would be great, and if im wrong i guess ill walk around tomorrow with my tail in-between my legs lol

thanks guys!

· Husband/Father/Son
12,416 Posts
My quesiton in Rhode island, can u drive a vehicle legally on a repair plate without the vehicle having any VIN numbers?
Even though the repair/towing tag has it's own stand alone registration (the registration is attached to the plate and business entity and not a specific vehicle), to use it on a vehicle without a VIN is illegal in all states.

Bill S.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even though the repair/towing tag has it's own stand alone registration (the registration is attached to the plate and business entity and not a specific vehicle), to use it on a vehicle without a VIN is illegal in all states.

Bill S.
Bill, thank you very much I knew I was connect!!! Now... Lets see if I can get a free lunch out of this thing! Lol

I did a google search before searching this site and couldn't find what I needed is there anyway I can go online and find this law stating you can't? That way I can print it out bet on lunch tomorrow and then hand him my print out lol

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Hey Paranoid,

Although MrMustang already answered your question, you may want to try this:

Let me google that for you

HTH,
Will

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Paranoid,

Although MrMustang already answered your question, you may want to try this:

Let me google that for you

HTH,
Will

ive been looking on their main site, i cant find anything, i am gonna have to call them monday morning

the only reason why i want written proof is because he claims his friend is a state trooper, he looked into it and says its fine...

maybe i should just make up a story and say my uncles a state trooper and says hes wrong lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.