Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
While taking a breather from trying to remove some of the infernally interlocked and trapped panels on the GTM, I leaned over and just happened to idly check the oil level. Good level and clean. Great! Now the dipstick will not go back in no matter what I do. Does anyone have any suggestions? It is an LS1.

·
Registered
110 Posts
How far does the dipstick go back in? A few inches short of completely back in place?

Just a guess but maybe the end off the dip stick is a bit bent and is hitting something internal once it exits the end of the dip stick tube. I discovered the tip of my dipstick was actually bent so much it was going above my tray and would have never measured oil level properly. Thankfully I had to drop the pan before I installed my engine and noticed this issue.

·
Premium Member
11,591 Posts
You probably need to rotate the dipstick as you insert it back in....it does not want to bend in the one direction, so you have to spin it to get around the corners inside the tube. you might need to put the end of the dipstick in a vice and put a couple twists in the entire length of the dipstick to get it to go back in easier?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Tried rotating it every which way and its not bent. Hesitant to bend it since I don't know which way to bend. Maybe a new OEM if not too expensive.

·
Premium Member
11,591 Posts
Try putting the end in a vice and putting a permanent twist in the length of the whole dipstick. That will allow it to bend in any direction as it goes down into the tube.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Try putting the end in a vice and putting a permanent twist in the length of the whole dipstick. That will allow it to bend in any direction as it goes down into the tube.
Well, it went in with some major effort. Until I find the problem, there won't be any gas station oil level checks when it finally runs again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, another day another couple of panels removed. Does everyone just stuff the wires in or is there some way to rationalize this? As found.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd say it really depends how long the wire runs are and if there is "slack" enough to make it tidy and manageable. In this same area on my GTM I've got a constant 12V block, a ground block, and my rear Infinitybox Power Cell wires with a good bit of wires going in many directions. I've added the below Cable Tie Button Mounts all over my GTM to help with cable management to make things neat and orderly. Simply drill a 1/4" hole, install and then you can run your wires along the frame and zip tie in place.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts