Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
RetroTek Stage 2 EFI (problem fixed)

Yesterday I plugged my laptop into the RetroTek EFI computer and made a change to the air/fuel mix. The car was running too rich.

What “used” to happen (when the car ran) was after you turned the ignition key on (but not start) the fuel pump would kick in and stop after the pressure built up (about 2-3 seconds). Then the jets would shoot out a little bit of gas. After that the car could be started and the fuel pump would run continuously and the car ran.
When I tried to upload the new profile back to the EFI I got an error message halfway through and the program closed on its own (I didn’t have time to see the error message, it happened too fast).

Now I can't get my laptop to recognize the EFI computer anymore. Also, when I turn the ignition key on the fuel pump turns on but it doesn't turn off after the pressure builds (42 psi). There is no fuel squirting out of the jets anymore for start-up so the car won't start.

I have reloaded the software, tried hooking up different cables, disconnected and reconnected all connections and I tried a different laptop too. None of that worked.

Anyone go through this before? Any ideas on how to fix this?
I guess it’s a holiday in the US tomorrow so I won’t be able to call RetroTek until Tuesday.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
This happened to me and it turned out that I had loaded the wrong program into the ECU. There are two sets of programs to match the small and large injector sizes which were available on the Retrotek version I have. Once I got the right program it downloaded just fine. I also reloaded the USB drivers BEFORE I loaded the profile. My guess is that reloading the USB drivers to your laptop will resolve your problem but Wayne might chip in - he is an expert on these units.

When I got my unit, they had a problem with the fuel pump swallowing the gulp valve. The answer was to take it out ! I also decided to install a pressure regulator as I didnt trust the ECU to regulate the pressure. Did you try downloading a stock profile rather than one you saved? Once I had mine set up right it I let it tune itself over the next few hundred mile and it runs like a champ. I hope this helps

Steve

·
Junior Charter Member
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is running again. I have the fix for this (from Leon at RetroTek). PM me if anyone needs it.

Thanks for the help Steve. I tried to reload the drivers but no luck. Leon gave me the work-a-round.

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
Did they tell you not to post the fix?

If not, just post it -- because you may not be on the forum at some point in the future when someone has that problem.

There's too much "call me" or "pm me" responses on here... just in my opinion. It makes the archives a whole lot less useful.

Although its nice of you to offer to share it, don't get me wrong ...

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Yes post it.....it will help when people use the "search" function also!

·
Registered
1 Posts
RetroTek Stage 2 EFI (problem fixed)

Yesterday I plugged my laptop into the RetroTek EFI computer and made a change to the air/fuel mix. The car was running too rich.

What “used” to happen (when the car ran) was after you turned the ignition key on (but not start) the fuel pump would kick in and stop after the pressure built up (about 2-3 seconds). Then the jets would shoot out a little bit of gas. After that the car could be started and the fuel pump would run continuously and the car ran.
When I tried to upload the new profile back to the EFI I got an error message halfway through and the program closed on its own (I didn’t have time to see the error message, it happened too fast).

Now I can't get my laptop to recognize the EFI computer anymore. Also, when I turn the ignition key on the fuel pump turns on but it doesn't turn off after the pressure builds (42 psi). There is no fuel squirting out of the jets anymore for start-up so the car won't start.

I have reloaded the software, tried hooking up different cables, disconnected and reconnected all connections and I tried a different laptop too. None of that worked.

Anyone go through this before? Any ideas on how to fix this?
I guess it’s a holiday in the US tomorrow so I won’t be able to call RetroTek until Tuesday.
Please give me a call I need help with a retro tek boss efi 7574162498

1 - 6 of 6 Posts