Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently trying to restart my engine that hasn't run in many years. I've taken the precautions of changing oil, draining fuel, etc. Engine turns over very easy by hand and have also briefly turned over by key.
My problem is: When I hooked up battery(new),after a very short time, the coil starts clicking and the red light on the dash starting blinking. Once the coil starts clicking, without the coil wire connected, I receive a shock from it. If I disconnect the connector that attaches to the distributor, the coil stops clicking.

I'm thinking bad coil but....

Anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Russ

·
Senior Charter Member
1,771 Posts
A little more info on your engine setup ( induction, ignition, etc) would help in helping you figure this out.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Dave,

302 with MassFlo EFI. Basically stock ignition. Accel coil.

As I said, with just the 2 wires connected to the coil, no coil wire to distributor, connect battery and after less then a minute, the red charge light on the dash starts flashing and the coil starts clicking. I found out about the coil with I touched it while it was clicking. Quite the shock! Disconnect the main connector going into distributor and the clicking stops.

I'm thinking bad coil, grounding itself out and waiting for new coil to come in but would rather not spend a lot of money chasing the problem.

Thanks for any help

Russ

·
Registered
381 Posts
Does your engine have an independent starter solenoid or a starter mounted solenoid?
Either way, clean all the connections on the solenoids, small wire and large wire. You might want to disconnect the battery first. If possible lay your hand on the solenoid when you key the starter. See if the click is coming from solenoid. Your coil is working if it bit you.
I could not confirm the engine is turning over, cranking, by your description. ,,,,engine turned over briefly.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does your engine have an independent starter solenoid or a starter mounted solenoid?
Either way, clean all the connections on the solenoids, small wire and large wire. You might want to disconnect the battery first. If possible lay your hand on the solenoid when you key the starter. See if the click is coming from solenoid. Your coil is working if it bit you.
I could not confirm the engine is turning over, cranking, by your description. ,,,,engine turned over briefly.
It has a starter mounted solenoid.
This is happening with no key in the ignition switch. The battery cut-off key is out also.
When I said the engine briefly turned over, I only tried it once and haven't tried it again since this started happening.

Thanks

Russ

·
Registered
909 Posts
There should not be power to the coil without the key on unless your ignition switch failed. You mentioned that the battery cut off is also turned off while this is happening. This means you are back feeding current from one of the hot at all times circuits like the ECM memory, clock and radio or both switches have failed. That is unlikely! Check your fuse box and under dash wiring. Make sure some critter hasn’t made a nest or chewed up your wiring. Disconnect any memory back up circuits and see if the problem persists.

Good Luck

Norm

·
Registered
909 Posts
Another thought. Check and see if your alternator gets warm when you connect the battery with both switches off. It could have a failed control unit.

Norm

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to spend a few minutes on it today, a little update:

I had a re-settable circuit breaker between the two posts on the battery cut-off switch. Trying to work from the battery forward, I disconnected the circuit breaker and then connected the battery cable. the clicking did not happen. I inserted the battery cut-off switch key and turned it and the clicking started again. Since I replaced the ignition switch with a new one, I put a test light on the battery lug and there was power. Once it started clicking, I put the test light on the ignition lug of the ignition switch and it flashed in sync with the clicking. If I touched the test light to the starter lug, it would stop the clicking.

I realize that there should be no power going through the ignition switch with out the key in it and turned to start. There is feed back coming from somewhere but I'll be damned if I know where?

Electric systems are not my bag of tea.

Thanks for the help and suggestions

Russ

P.S. While the clicking is happening, if I disconnect the plug going to the alternator, the clicking stops. While the clicking is happening, if I disconnect the big connector that goes to the distributor, the clicking stops.

I have replaced the Starter solenoid, the ignition switch and the Voltage regulator.

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,732 Posts
Get that thing running Russ! Exactly how many years has it been?!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Does the circuit breaker reset itself? The continuous clicking might be an indication that it is related to the problem.
You can either disconnect the breaker and see if the engine functions, short of the ecu functioning or replace the breaker with a fuse and see if it blows.

·
Registered
97 Posts
when you say "clicking", do you mean like every 1 second or so? If so sounds like it could be going thru the turn signal/hazard flasher circuit somehow....may be something to look at because part of that circuit is hot at all times usually.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts