Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Big Sky Builder
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, like so many, my hood isn't quite the radius of the body. Overall, it's actually pretty decent, it's really just the top of the radius where it meets the cowl, and to a lessor extend (because it's smaller I guess) where it sits on the nose. I have some room to give a bit on the sides, by tweaking the body or how the hood sits.

My issue is that the whole cinder block + sun thing doesn't work real well when it's 10 degrees outside, and it won't be warm until like July.

I know that Scott L had to re-radius his trunk, and used ratcheting straps to do it. I can't remember if he applied heat or not.

Can this also be done with the hood? Heat gun? Hair dryer (less heat)? Space heater? It's only about 3/16" or so off, so it shouldn't take much.

BTW, this is after trimming, hood hinges fully adjusted, everything else fairly dialed in, no trunk struts on.

I also considered just using rubber bumpers in the middle and pulling it down with the hood pins, but that's going to be a pain to do that every time I shut the hood.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If I understand correctly the hood doesn't quite have enough curvature to it?? If you can get it braced and trussed up sufficiently with straps or whatever, a heat gun can do the job but you need to use some caution as they can literally soften fiberglass to the point of putty. The straps can also deform the edges of the panels so it is a good idea to use some pieces of aluminum angle or something protect them and spread the loading from the straps. I would use a heat gun to warm up the surface and let it cool - doing this every day for about a week and then leave the straps on for another week or so. By then it should be pretty stable. I don't know how to suggest that you regulate the heat, I just wouldn't ever get the surface so hot that you couldn't place your hand on the surface and leave it there.

·
Big Sky Builder
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I understand correctly the hood doesn't quite have enough curvature to it?? If you can get it braced and trussed up sufficiently with straps or whatever, a heat gun can do the job but you need to use some caution as they can literally soften fiberglass to the point of putty. The straps can also deform the edges of the panels so it is a good idea to use some pieces of aluminum angle or something protect them and spread the loading from the straps. I would use a heat gun to warm up the surface and let it cool - doing this every day for about a week and then leave the straps on for another week or so. By then it should be pretty stable. I don't know how to suggest that you regulate the heat, I just wouldn't ever get the surface so hot that you couldn't place your hand on the surface and leave it there.
Thanks for the advice. Yes, it needs more curve. I put the ratcheting strap on it yesterday and tightened it up to just over the needed curve, then put a little space heater next to it to warm it up. That's pretty mild warming, so it may not have much effect. It's been there since yesterday, so I'll check it and see in a bit, then I might break out the heat gun. Thanks for the info!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.