Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello;

I'm researching roadster and coupe kits. Have arrived at 95% certainty I'll be going FFR - just too perfectly designed for the DIY car guy!

I have a project to finish first and am hoping I may find the last bit of info here I need. I'm building a 1982 Ford Fairmont with a 408W. I want to go dual quad and will be seeking advice on carbs.

Then, once that last bit of work is done on that car I'll be moving to the FFR. I'm leaning toward a Type 65 Coupe but honestly, whatever I choose will be my first kit and I've heard the coupe can pretty challenging getting the body together so maybe I"ll go roadster instead.

Looking forward to trading info and stories!

Don

·
just another builder
8,223 Posts
welcome aboard

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Welcome aboard!!!

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Welcome! See you're in Michigan. If SE MI, quite a bit of activity here. Great Lakes Cobra Club is a good group, with lots of brands including FFR. I have two FFR Roadsters in my garage in Lake Orion. A finished Mk3 and a just started Mk4. If you're in the area, you're welcome to check out.

·
Sno B Gone!
3,183 Posts
Don,

We did the Coupe as our first kit and it wasn't as bad as it sounded. we had to figure some stuff out, but this forum really helped. As long as you take your time and get a good plan, you should be fine either way.

My $.02

·
Junior Charter Member
1,146 Posts
If Michigan is anything like what I see on the news, having a roof and side windows will extend your window of use a long way.

It was 25 degrees here yesterday morning, If I had a Coupe, I could have switched on the seat heater and fired it up to go to the Sunday shift just like normal. No different than the Jeep.

Consider how much you want to use it, when, and how long into the winter season. Frankly, if there's no snow on the road, why cut your opportunities? I suspect in Michigan you get a few weeks of 4WD only weather, it would be nice to get as much out of the calendar as you can.

Lived in Germany for three years, can't say I cared much for the 6 week summer.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,679 Posts
Welcome. The coupe is nothing to be afraid of. It has changed since it was first designed and offered as a kit and the current model, still unfinished in my opinion, is miles ahead of the older version. Some if not most, of the body fitment issues are based on the earlier version. The really restrictive, difficult to improve on items in the car, IMHO, are the side exhaust (way too small to support decent HP) and the height of the engine compartment. Your 408 would be too tall in the coupe w/o changes to the body. That's where this forum comes in. Again welcome and trust you will have much support and encouragement here. Good luck with your choices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.