Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Durn it !! Almost done and I tested the wipers with some paper under the blades and one of the wheel boxes is grinding and slipping. I seem to remember someone on the forum recommending a better quality wheel box for the FFR wipers. I looked but can't find it....can anyone help
Steve

·
Charter Member
1,734 Posts
Go to a British Auto recycler and get wheelboxs from a mid 60's MG. They are perfect matches. I'm running 1967 MG wiper units, motor and all, and it still works great. Very inexpensive stuff.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,053 Posts
Stripped my gear teeth off on the first test
of the wipers.. FF5 replaced them..
Low quality and over priced part in my opinion.

Important to have the gears centered on the
cable and to have to conduit bent to a slight
arch.. First test should not have any wipers
installed to minimize the grag, the add drag
using your hand to be sure that the motor stops
and the gear does not strip.. Too bad someone
doesn't make a better wheel box.

Mine work OK now, but I wonder how they would
hold up under constant use.

Dan

·
Junior Charter Member
1,053 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the MG from the 1960's
is a better made part??Just so happens that
one of the last MG dealers in the US is not
too far.. They also used to used to have a lot of old parts cars around..

Thanks,

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Steve,
Are you sure that the gear isn't just slipping on the shaft? I had that problem when I assembled the car prior to taking it apart for paint, I took them apart and placed a tack weld to attach the gear to the shaft, then filed it back smooth. I ran them for quite some time and they were working fine when I took them off to remove the body.

Skip

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Skip, I plan to take thm off again at rebuild at some point. I am just about done but for the registration and a little problem with one sidepipe being too far away from the body to meet the hanger (about an inch). I will wash her and post pics today.....What a rush!!!!!
Steve

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Same problem here but fund the shaft was slipping inside the gear. Removed the wheel boxes and brazed both shafts to the gears solved the problem. You may be able to get away with center punching the shafts to the gear to stop the slipping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts