Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Craftsman 200 soldering gun that's probably 25 years old. I finally burned up the last tip and Sears no longer carries replacements.
It's a great gun (a little clunky) and I'd really like to revive it.
An internet search turned up nothing but another guy looking for the same thing.
Anybody got a line on places that might carry obsolete parts like that?

Failing that, how about some recommendations on a good medium priced ($25 or so) gun.

Thanks for your input,

·
7,134 Posts
If you are handy with a file and the the tips are a simple shape make one out of pure copper or even alu. The non coated tips do not last as long , but will work and if you keep them clean will do the job just as well. I do not know the iron you mention but have made tips for all sorts of heavy irons over the years.

I have a Weller portasol professional solder iron (butane) that I have used for over 15 years , and first 5 years were daily, used only about 3 or 4 tips in all that time. I have 3x 220v corded irons that I have not used in all the time I have had the Portasol
Portasol

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zulu;

Thanks for the info. I was looking at those at Lowe's the other day and they look real interesting. Didn't have any experience with them (they sounded kind of like a mini-butane torch, maybe) but after reading the description on their web site and your recommendation, I may try one.
They're not overkill for small stuff like car wiring, 16-18 ga wire, and small diodes and resistors, are they?

Thanks for your input,

·
7,134 Posts
They can be used as a mini torch too, but you can regulate the temp right down for small jobs, as well as crank it up for bigger jobs. The kit comes with a hot air blower too , so you can use shrink tubing on your wiring joins.

The best tool I had when still working as an engineer, I got tired of burning myself catching a falling corded solder iron. The self lighting version allows you to switch off and when ready again just fire up and in 25 secs you are rocking and rolling again. To recharge just use lighter fuel.

I did try another brand before Weller , and it was junk, but the pro series has served with distinction for many many years now. I bought it in Germany in 1989 - so a full 15 years.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Old soldering guns should not be used where electronic components can be damaged by ESD.
No longer allowed in the electronics industry
Johnbgood

1 - 5 of 5 Posts