Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday, Oct 9th--Hi all, Any good ideas on removing a GPS mounting disk without hurting the paint? I need to reposition it to fit my new mount in order to clear the windshield. Of course, I thought about this moment when I first put it on, but I went ahead anyway. I've heard about using monofilament fishing line but I'm concerned that it might scrape the paint all the way as it goes back and forth under the mounting disk. How does the idea of using a gentle application of a heat gun sound to anybody? Thanks for any help. Paul :confused1:

· Charter Member
7,882 Posts
I would avoid the heat gun Paul - try the dental floss or the monofilament nylon - I doubt that you will damage the paint.

· Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried the dental floss!

Wednesday, Oct. 10th--Thanks for the suggestions Howard and Bruce. I tried the waxed dental floss but it didn't have the strength to pull it under the disk without breaking. I have some 8 pound mono so I will try that next. I agree with Howard about not getting a heat gun too near both the paint and the fibreglass. I could see some unhappy results coming if I tried that. I tried a Google search and I was shocked that nobody had posted a "how to" video on YouTube. What's this world coming to? Thanks again, Paul :grape:

· Premium Member
2,597 Posts
If it is intalled with double sided body mounting tape, use 3M adhesive remover part number 08984, available at any auto body paint supply house. It will soften the adhesive so that your fishing line can cut it, and then use the same for final cleanup. It will not hurt the paint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.