Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the remote oil filter needed with a 351W? I'm trying to figure out if I need to get another one since I've heard the one provided by FFR leaks badly. Thanks.
J_B

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
The one on my 302 hasn't leaked a drop...(knock on wood)....I think it has to do with the way it is installed more than the quality of the fitting...Lubricating the O ring is very important, if it is not to leak at the block.

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using Tri-State 4x4 headers if that helps.
J_B

·
Charter Member
1,249 Posts
The remote filter should not be necessary since you will be using 4 into 4 headers. This allows enough room for the filter. There was a post yesterday regarding this as well and it was suggested that you use the thermostat adapter though if you are going to run an oil cooler.

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
I was told by my engine builder that if you don't absolutely need the filter relocator and/or the oil cooler, don't use it. It puts an additional strain on the oil system and can cause pressure problems due to moving oil through additional plumbing. I am sure that there may be arguments contrary to this opinion, but I am stating the opinion of my race engine builder. I decided to refrain from the cooler, but stayed the course with my canton filter relocator. I would say if you don't need it, don't use it.

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Glad I don't need it. One less thing to worry about. Not planning on using an oil cooler though they do look cool as hell.
J_B

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
Originally posted by Just_Bitten:
Thanks guys. Glad I don't need it. One less thing to worry about. Not planning on using an oil cooler though they do look cool as hell.
J_B
I couldn't agree more. I almost installed a faux cooler just for the looks, but decided not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts