Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
TC COBRA
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buttoning up a 306 and noticed that the instruction sheet from Ford recommends NOT using a remotes oil filter. I called into the tech line and the technician warned that using anything less than a dash -10 size oil line would starve the motor over time and result in premature bearing ware and eventually wash out the bearings. So looked over the lines and didn’t see the “dash” size listed. Called FFR and they said that the lines are ½ inch inside diameter. So I looked up the conversion chart and found that a ½ inch ID hose is only a dash 8 size. A dash 10 line is 5/8th" ID...

Are the remote lines that FFR is supplying too small for a SBF?? Is this right? Can I pick up lagrger lines at auto zone?

Thanks

·
Registered
796 Posts
Buttoning up a 306 and noticed that the instruction sheet from Ford recommends NOT using a remotes oil filter. I called into the tech line and the technician warned that using anything less than a dash -10 size oil line would starve the motor over time and result in premature bearing ware and eventually wash out the bearings. So looked over the lines and didn’t see the “dash” size listed. Called FFR and they said that the lines are ½ inch inside diameter. So I looked up the conversion chart and found that a ½ inch ID hose is only a dash 8 size. A dash 10 line is 5/8th" ID...

Are the remote lines that FFR is supplying too small for a SBF?? Is this right? Can I pick up lagrger lines at auto zone?

Thanks
Just an FYI, if you are using the 4 into 4 headers, you can use the stock oil filter location that screws into the block and ditch the remote oil filter.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,146 Posts
Custom oil filter lines never made for a standard production car are usually not in stock at any auto parts store. They generally carry only those made for a specific year, make, and model. Some stores have the equipment to crimp hose fittings on lines to your specifications, but don't expect high end AN fittings. It's largely JIC steel lines, rubber hose, and caters to the hydraulic power cylinder user.

The issue is your engine builder said "Don't do it." That means deciding whether you want some support over warranty issues, or throwing any chance of a guarantee out the window. Why? Because owner installed oil cooler lines are a problem, not only meeting the size requirement, but also the type fittings, makeup, routing, and overall system flow capacity. It's NOT just a bunch of hoses screwed together.

The general rule in engineering is don't make things more complicated unless there's a specific payback. A remote filter doesn't offer much if the factory location is accessible. No matter how well built or designed, it can't make things better in terms of oil pressure, flow, or overall system integrity. It just offers more failure points at every joint, fitting, and every inch of hose, plus adds more dead weight. Drilled and cast passages in the block won't do that.

If there's anything about American "haute" rod culture to know, it's that just because you can doesn't mean you should.

·
TC COBRA
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to avoid using the remote filter but I'm using the J-pipes and O2 bung to monitor the A/F ratio for my carb.

HTML:
It's NOT just a bunch of hoses screwed together.  The general rule in engineering is don't make things more complicated unless there's a specific payback.
Arn't you the one posting about "engineering" a hydraulic parking break?? :sneaky2:

·
Registered
796 Posts
I would like to avoid using the remote filter but I'm using the J-pipes and O2 bung to monitor the A/F ratio for my carb.

HTML:
It's NOT just a bunch of hoses screwed together.  The general rule in engineering is don't make things more complicated unless there's a specific payback.
Arn't you the one posting about "engineering" a hydraulic parking break?? :sneaky2:
There is a 90 degree fitting for the original oil filter location as well, not sure if that allows it to work with the J-Pipe setup or not...Forte's sells them, you could call him and ask, that might allow you to avoid the remote filter.

Actually here is a link to it on Breeze's website: Breeze Automotive Factory Five Racing

·
TC COBRA
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
90 degree fitting for the original oil filter location

90 degree fitting!

Oh! Nice I like that! Thanks Evvander!!

·
Geek
1,402 Posts
There is a 90 degree fitting for the original oil filter location as well, not sure if that allows it to work with the J-Pipe setup or not...Forte's sells them, you could call him and ask, that might allow you to avoid the remote filter.

Actually here is a link to it on Breeze's website: Breeze Automotive Factory Five Racing
The 90 degree fitting works fine, that's what I have on my my 306.

·
Premium Member
18,253 Posts
If you're going to use a remote filter, I recommend the following "rules":
1. AN lines and fittings only. No rubber hose and screw clamps.
2. -10 or better lines.
3. Use a high volume oil pump (yes, I know that's controversial)
4. use a high volume oil pan, and matching pick up.
5. Don't do it unless you really need to.
6. Be very careful about hooking up the lines properly. Lots of engine have been damaged this way.

But, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.