Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen or implemented a remote electric AC system on their roadster? I just saw this on Jegs and thought it would be an awesome alternative to the traditional belt-driven systems for my Coyote build. Are there other Electric option out there? I loved to know more about these, find out how good they are, and hear your experience.

JEGS Remote Mount Electric A/C Compressor

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
That looks like an awesome idea for even a daily driver in hot summers! Keeping the AC running for an hour or less while running errands shouldn't completely drain the battery!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. Mine will be a daily driver. I'm also planning on doing Fast Freddies Electro Hydraulic Power steering (EHPS) hooked up to Hydroboost power brakes so I'll need to make sure I have an appropriately-sized alternator ;-)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now you've got me thinking...

Any idea if it the Prius compressor is stand-alone, what it would cost, and what additional components would be needed to support the Prius compressor?

With the big push towards electric and hybrid cards, are their other manufacturers going this electric A/C route?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I posted on that electric A/C compressor on one of the forums. I liked the idea but it is a bit pricy at about $1400 and you will need to watch the amp draw on it (very large) running amps will be a little less but the start up amps on ac compressors is up there.
Kevin

·
Lurker/hopeful
577 Posts
I think there are a few cars out there with electric compressors, any hybrid that will shut the engine off should have one, otherwise stopping at a red light would get warm during summers.

I can't imagine it'd be too hard to find the right schematics to hook one up from any of these hybrids and use it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Now you've got me thinking...

Any idea if it the Prius compressor is stand-alone, what it would cost, and what additional components would be needed to support the Prius compressor?

With the big push towards electric and hybrid cards, are their other manufacturers going this electric A/C route?
I'm not sure about the Prius' compressor, but the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt are all-electric, so there's some potential there...

HTH,
Will

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,018 Posts
Lexus RX400H had an electric compressor. I replaced one once and remember that it was about $1500 compared to approx. $500-600 for most belt driven compressors used on other models. Obviously there needs to be some type of control maybe based on a pressure switch which would be pretty easy. But you also need to wire that thing. I couldn't see the actual gauge of the wire due to the plastic shielding but it had to be at least equal to a starter cable. I suspect it is actually larger since the compressor will be in use for a lot longer time periods than a starter. BTW the compressor was somewhat larger and heavier than a standard compressor since it includes the motor. One would need to be very careful about battery capacity also. AC compressors run the hardest at idle because the airflow over the condenser is so low that the pressures spike really high. So the compressor power useage could be reasonable at 40 mph and >1500 rpm but much higher at stops. Of course that is where the alternator is putting out the least amount of current.

·
Mark 3.1 (Sold)
894 Posts
I'm pretty sure these (Prius, etc) systems run off the hybrid battery, ie. ~400 volts or the AC output from the hybrid converter, NOT 12 volts DC.

The Jegs unit is 12-14 volts (9-30 rated.)

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Just google "prius AC compressor"

[URL="http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/91647/Electronic-air-conditioning-An-overview-of-systems-found-in-todays-hybrid-vehicles[/URL]

not sure if I did this right but it's a good article on how electric AC works. Prius does use the big battery to power the compressor. 200 volts AC current.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,018 Posts
Good point guys. I had forgotten that they run off the big battery. 200V, no wonder they had a real heavy insulator.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I think if you go electric AC a duel battery system is a must like RVs use. The compressor most likely will pull more than 50 amps. Jeggs conveniently leaves the amp draw and BTU ratings out of the details so it might be too small of a compressor for any real benefit. I think 12,000 BTUs (1Ton) is close to the minimum needed and that would need about 100 amps at 12 V.

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
8,354 Posts
I'm thinking the best "viable" option is a conventional compressor.

·
8,354 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts