Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many of you remember my car, Cobrask8, a Gel-Coat low-budget fun car that saw both street duty...

And track duty..

And unfortunately the wreck at Watkins Glen in August of 2006 that destroyed the body and all the R/F suspension, aluminum, wheel, and anything in that corner...

Well,

After a long winter of tearing apart, repairing, improving, and re-assembling, I am very proud to re-introduce...

COBRASK8 V.2!!

The story is full of heartbreak & sucess, and all done in my garage. There are some truly special people here who have helped me in this, and I am very deeply indebted to them for thier unselfish help. I will put together a list to aknowlege them, as they deserve more thanks than words can say.

The car still has ome issues to be worked out, as well as some coll new things I'll show youy guys soon (LED Taillights, more), but this weekend I finally got it street ready and took it out for a few rides. Damn, did that feel good!

Watch out Watkins Glen! I'm back!!!!!!!!! :D

·
2,860 Posts
Perfect...your back and the snow is almost gone...GOOD TIMING! The trick is to get back to the Glen. Have fun.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
Just like it never happened. Very lucky, all things considered.
Baron

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the nostaliga and "patina", I salvaged the spoiler form the wreck, it has some blue from the Watkins Glen guard rail. I now wear it with a badge of pride!

I have registered for the same school/open track, and will beat turn 9 this year. In 2005 I spun to the outside, in 2006 I crashed to the inside, in 2007 the laws of averages says I keep going through the middle!

Some of the improvements:
1.Sleeved the rear of the crank, it blew the seal at the track, and had a huge oil leak.
2.Re-set the hydraulic clutch, now eaven easeir topush - Wroite an article that will be in the May issue of KIT CAR magazine about the conversion.
3.Made custom LED taillights, including a machined aluminum housing that replicates the original revtangular unit, but has three LED circuits: A red outer ring for driving lamps, an upper red grid for stop, and a lower amber for turn. Vaey bright, I'll post pics as soon as I can get a side-by-side comparo pic with a standard Cobra taillight.
4. Still working on Oil cooler ducting, the new one is back near the "X" brace, so it cannot be damages in a front wreck.
5.I'll try to remember more of what I did.

Major major people to thank, here is the start of the list:

Mr. Mustang
Turkey Master
Cobranetto
Limey69
Joe Fornier
IGGY
SnappyT
Smitty2
My daughter Deanna

there are more, I will finds them in the paperwork and list.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Congrats on getting back on the road. You da man. Pete

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
looks good I'm looking forward to seeing the car this summer at one of the nearby events. charlie

·
Registered
432 Posts
Tires and wheels are a big improvement! Glad to hear you're "on the road again".
Tom

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's again wearing it's "Street Clothes", It has not worn these since July of last year, which includes the 15" PSE's. For the track, I am replacing the 8" rims and 245's with 9" and 275 V710's, so hopefully I'll have more cornering stick!

·
FFR 4331
1,114 Posts
Looks real good! Good as new. (Sent you an email).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts