Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember the wheel damage I had?
I ended up having to fix it with a 2x4 and a chisel before track day. It worked just fine (thanks to Richard Oben) but it was ugly. The end result was that I ended up going on the track but with badly cosmetically damaged rim. The chisel, hammer and the 2x4 put some nasty deep marks on the aluminum and though it worked, it was still too wavy.

Well, I took the rim to Wheels America as suggested by Tony A. (thanks Tony). I have no affiliations with them, but though it'll come handy for someone else as these things don't happen every day.

The turn around was 24 hours and $140 later, there is no way in the world that one can tell if there ever was damage. I saw other rims there that were missing big chunks chipped off and you could not tell they were damaged either.

FYI

Kouros

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
Thanks for the update Kouros and for the usefull information.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I'm surprised they let you on the track with a wavy "repaired" rim. Seems like a bit of a safety hazard. Do they do any kind of a safety inspection there? Not familiar with the track so thought I would ask.

Glad all worked out and its fixed and all beautiful again. An after shot would be great.

John

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess you missed that whole thread...which I don't think we should go into...

But to answer your question. Yes. They inspect cars prior to going on track and they take it very seriously.

Prior to entering on track the rim was completely repaired and but it was very ugly cosmetically. Understand that it was just the lip. I made sure they see it and it as the first thing outa my mouth...."would this rim be okay"....took a long look, called over 2 other inspectors, took another looong look and said "have a nice day". The car was driven 300 miles to the track, ran strong for 2 days on the track, drove it back another 300 miles home. I would have been okay exchanging the fronts with spare set that I took to the track, but didn't need to. John, I don't have a camera right now....but truly one can not tell....it's amazing because the picture above was before I took the hammer to the rim and I did leave a few dents trying to make it round...they got rid of all of them.

-=Kouros

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Very cool!!

Great to hear there are talented folks who can rescue parts from near certain death by recycler... :D

Sounds like you had a blast at the track.

John

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Kouros, now the next challenge is to get the long drive award for Open House this year. Get moving!! :D

-Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts