Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to control high beams/low beams from a SPST switch that is already mounted on my dash. Is there a relay that will do this.
Esentially I want the relay to power the low beams when the switch is in the off position and power the high beams when the switch is in the on position? This is just to toggle between high and low beams. I also have the ffr light switch installed.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Keith, you will need one relay for hi-beams and one relay for low-beams. You can control the power feed from the headlight switch to the relays through an ON/ON toggle. I'm sure someone has an extra toggle from their kit you could use(I might even have one, but I'm at work right now).

You'd basically have the equivelant of a floor dimmer switch on your dash (the floor dimmer has power going in and two power wires going out, one to low and one to hi)...

Let me know if you need a diagram and I can draw something up...

HTH...
Mark

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was tring to use the switch already placed in my dash. I thought there might be a relay that allows power out if it is not activated and switches power out to another source if activated.
like this:

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Skunkman,
All you need is a spdt or dpdt relay. Wire the normally closed contacts to low beams, the normally open contacts to the high beams, common goes to the FFR switch. The coil of the relay is controlled by the spst switch. Another way is to use the VW headlight dimmer relay with a momentary toggle switch.

c

·
Premium Member
16,562 Posts
Here's what you want. This is a standard 5-pin automotive relay. When the relay isn't active the low beams are on and when +12V is applied from the dimmer switch (your toggle) the high beams are activated.

This assumes your headlight switch can take the amperage. If your not sure you could use another relay to feed the circuit and be activated by the headlight switch.

Cheers, Rod

·
Pappa T
71 Posts
Mustang Man. Please provide your wiring schematic with the two relays. Thanks

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Sure thing Eup, coming up shortly...

Mark

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Here you go...

Wiring Info:
PINK: Headlight power out from headlight switch
GREEN: Headlight power from switch position A to Hi-Beam Relay
BLUE: Headlight power from switch position B to Lo-Beam Relay
RED: 12-volt feed from battery (fused) to both relays
ORANGE: 12-volts from Lo-Beam Relay to headlight terminals
YELLOW: 12-volts from Hi-Beam Relay to headlight terminals
BLACK: Wire to ground

HTH...
Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.