Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Coupe #293
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a good long while since I've been on this forum and a couple years now since we 'finished' my Coupe build.

Last year, I was busy jumping headfirst into formula car racing in the SCCA. With my weekends spent there, my Coupe only saw rare trips out of the garage.

So this summer I've scaled back my racing activity and ramped up my Coupe cruising. What an absolute delight to feel that rumble and roar again. I nearly forgot about the stares of wonder this car fetches on public roads and how it turns the citizenry into paparazzi and its flabby middle-aged driver into a temporary celebrity.

Great time driving the car, but I am having a little overheating problem with it . . . especially in stop-and-go traffic. Ran the usual troubleshooting, and I've got a few things I'm going to do.

1. Step up to the LevyRacing big radiator with dual fans, custom shroud, and oil cooler. I've coveted this for a while anyway and my wife ordered one for my birthday.

2. Insulate or scrap the aluminum cooling tubes. I think the metal is picking up heat from my engine compartment.

3. Tinker with my fill cap placement (get another inch or two of altitude)

I've got a few other Coupe projects I'm going to be working on this year and next, including some serious interior work. So, I'll be poking around these forums again.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,087 Posts
Glad to see your back spending much needed time with the coupe.

How was your cooling system working previously? Another member spent months doing mods on the cooling system only to find out the sudden extra heat was caused by his engine having internal problems. If your cooling system was good the past couple of years, I can't see why that would change. I can't imagine your engine bay being hot enough to heat the coolant in the tubes. Maybe drop to the next cooler thermostat? My thought is that the more heat you pump out the top of the hood, the more heat that is in not in the engine compartment.

·
4,083 Posts
Welcome Back. My cooling system has always produced higher temps than I would like. I have a 190 thermostat in for the fuel injection, but my temps will get from 210-220 sometimes when I am pushing it hard. The oil temps will get up to 230. I would love for it to stay under 200. I think the Levy setup is all you need. I am considering that as an upgrade when I have the extra funds. I am also considering wrapping the headers to reduce under-hood temps.

·
Coupe #293
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, Rob. When I get stuck in crawling traffic on weekends, my water temps exceed 250 and my oil temps run in the 230 neighborhood. Hopefully this LevyRacing setup takes care of things.

Mmarshall, trust me . . . my engine bay gets hot enough to heat the cooling tubes.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Welcome back to the coupe world. Hey at least yours is finished and running!!
Mine is at the 65% to 70% stage. As far as mods go let us help you spend your money here on the forum!!

Rob Burton - If you are interested I've got an Eastwood header wrap, ties and hi-temp spray paint I won't be using as I've added heat shields spaced off the footboxes 1/2" and hopefully that will help. When I start the engine and let it warm up without moving out of the garage the footboxes never seem to exceed ambient temp. PM me if you'ld like these header wraps. I'll let them go reasonable.

Bill

·
Junior Charter Member
2,087 Posts
It must be the extra cubes. I have a stock 5.0 and it rarely exceeds 190 in traffic with the A/C going on a 95 degree day. Once moving over 30mph it drops back to 175ish on water and oil temp. My upper radiator hose is so hot it will burn your hand, but I can touch anything in the engine bay that is not attached to the engine.

·
Torque Junkie
2,167 Posts
Cole check out my thread on the new cooling fan using the Lincoln MK VIII fan setup.

It'll cure what ail's ya.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,485 Posts
Cole: Want to try a free experiment?

I've long suspected that the exit air hole in the hood is too small. Normally in an aircraft application, I've often heard that the rule of thumb is to have double the exit opening area as the intake area. This is to allow for heat expansion of the air and help draw the air out from behind the radiator (or engine). The coupe has less exit area if the exit shroud seals well against the radiator.

My suggestion is to remove the exit shroud that connects to the hood as an experiment, and see if adding less "exit resistance" helps airflow through the radiator. It's free, and it might work. If it does, then maybe we can mod the shroud. I was already thinking of leaving mine open at the bottom to let more air out.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,087 Posts
John, the cowl flaps on most aircraft are actually smaller than the inlets. I would agree with your thought process at very high speeds, but he is having a problem sitting still. I don't think an electric fan could even begin to overwhelm the airflow capacity of the hood opening. I think extending the lip on the front of the hood opening would cause a low pressure area behind it and might help at speed.

I have thought about a hinged panel under the radiator may help at speed. Just mount the front on very light springs so as the pressure in front of the radiator builds it would push the front down into the airstream. When you slow down for a speed bump or RR track the springs would tuck it up tight for ground clearance. This panel would also act like a splitter and keep some air from under the car.

·
Coupe #293
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
welcome back! I painted my car Jet Black based on that picture you have in your avatar, btw.
That's quite a compliment . . . and a gorgeous Spyder.

Welcome back to the coupe world. Hey at least yours is finished and running!!
Mine is at the 65% to 70% stage. As far as mods go let us help you spend your money here on the forum!!
Oh, I remember how it works here.

·
Coupe #293
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought the Levy Racing combination radiator/fans/shroud/oil cooler thingie and tomorrow, my friend Bill and I are going to complete the swap out.

·
Torque Junkie
2,167 Posts
Some of you guys need to try out the Taurus Fan upgrade.

·
Coupe #293
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some of you guys need to try out the Taurus Fan upgrade.
and

Cole check out my thread on the new cooling fan using the Lincoln MK VIII fan setup.

It'll cure what ail's ya.
Thanks, Xlr80r . . . can you post a link? I did some poking and couldn't find your old thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts