Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
7,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the distributor to prime the motor and S/C, but forgot to mark the location of the rotor. Is this correct to reintall it in the correct location.

1. Set the timeing mark on the crank to "0".
2. Reinstall the the distributor with the rotor over the number 1 on the inside of the lower cap.
3. Rotate the crank to 10 degrees then turn the distributor so the rotor is over the number 1 marked on the inside of the cap again.

I am setting timing at 10 degres BTDC.
If this is wrong then please help me figure it out.

John

·
Senior Charter Member
148 Posts
"0" on the crank can be top dead center on exhuast or compression. The crank rotates twice while the distributor rotates once. The piston on #1 cylinder comes to TDC twice during 1 revolution of the distributor. You must make sure you are on compression on #1. Put your finger in the spark plug hole & you will feel pressure on compression stroke. The exhuast valve is open on the exhuast stroke, ie no compression. The rest is more or less correct, anything close will start. Rotate till it starts & have a timing light ready to go.
mike

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
John you got it. Rotor lines up with #1 plug wire on cap. Check to be sure motor at tdc with both valves closed. You can remove valve cover and look to be sure both valves are closed or pull spark plug and "feel" compression to know at tdc. Have a lot of popping and backfireing when trying to start it could be 180* out and need rotating.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
just be sure u are on the compression stroke, right after intake closes continue turning until you see 10* drop in dist facing # 1 Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts