Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Shell Valley Cobra is at the point where I think I can register and title it. My residense is Maryland. The car's title, from North Carolina, lists the car as a 1965 "Cbra".

My state has a category for "kit car". In it the car gets inspected by the MD State Police and has a VIN assigned to it. But the title, I'm guessing, probably makes note the car is a kit car.... The title and tag then allow occasional use for car shows, club events, parades, etc ...

There is a designation for "Street Rod". It's for cars 25 years and older. The car has to be "substantially" modified from the original design ... Given the car currently has a NC title that indicates it's a 1965, maybe.... maybe... I could sort of sneak this by my MVA as a 1965. Would they notice the car doesn't have a 17 digit VIN? hmmm...

Would any of the Cobra folks on this forum respond as to how their car is titled and registered in MD. PM if you'd prefer (or send to my public email; [email protected]).

thanks, Dave K.

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
Kind of a unique situation. Basically you have bought a used car from out of state.
Two of the guys in our group locally did the same, and Virginia, registered them as they were titled from the states which they were purchased. One as a 1965 Factory Five Roadster, and the other as a 1999 Lone Star(the year it was registered out of state).

Before Virginia adopted the SEMA law, my roadster was registered as a 1965 Factory Five with antique plates. Since the SEMA law was adopted, my coupe is a 2015, 1965 Replica.

All states are different and you probably will need to talk with someone higher up than the local DMV clerk. Or, you could try that route and get lucky. They might say it is a 1965 cobra from out of state.

Rob

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks lots of information there. The Gaithersburg, MD MVA office was of zero (no, make that negative) help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here's a link to information on the Maryland MVA website about registering "Kit Cars". If you need additional information you should call the Glen Burnie main office at 410-768-7000. I have found their telephone personnel to be knowledgeable and helpful. If you have a title from another state, this could be an easy process. Good luck!

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/info/27300/27300-31T.htm#kit_car

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,646 Posts
Also post your question on here.
Capital Area Cobra Club - Index
You are very lucky that your title has your car as a 1965 as Md will use that year on the new title. For some crazy reason that may help reduce your insurance rate. You might look for an independent tag and title service. That is what I used for two FFRs when I lived in Md. They were quite a change from the MVA as they actually want to help you so they get your business. The service I used doesn't have any offices in northern Md unfortunately.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
maybe several options ...

I see that registering via MD "kit car" is probably the category I ... should use... but maybe the "historic" category using the NC title (as 1965) is 'better'. As MD "kit car' you get assigned a new VIN ... Not sure what's 'better' (valuable in terms of sellable) registering as a "kit car" and getting a VIN (I'm assuming it's a 17 digit VIN) or going the route as "historic" car with the SVCXX15858 'vin' and having the SVC vin as VIN! I'm going to a tag service later today, thanks for all the information!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Historic, reproduction or replica all sound better than "Kit Car" which unfortunately has a crappy connotation to it.

In NC a Historic 1965 registration has other advantages regarding local tax, emissions (no state inspections)& license plates. Some debate among the guys about my plate because its a custom made one & not an original 1965 but a number of cops & the DMV inspector who OK'd my car thought it was "cool"

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think you're overthinking it. This should be the same as buying any car from another state and bringing it into MD. If it's titled as a "1965 Cbra", then that's how Maryland will accept it. Walk in with a receipt and a good title from the other state, pay your MD taxes for the purchase and get a new title. They wont know whether it's a kit or not. It's a "1965 Cbra". MD should accept the VIN just like I bought a 1967 Mustang in VA and brought it in. Nobody ever even needs to see the car to get a title, not on a used car being brought in from another state.

Now getting tags... it will have to be inspected. This can be done by any inspection station. Since it's previously owned and already has a VIN, it doesn't need to go to the State Police. It will have to meet 1965 safety standards. Once you have the inspection and insurance, you can get your Historic or Street Rod tags, depending on how you want it.

This is actually a great way to get a Homebuilt in MD. You get to title it as a 1965, no questions on emissions and you get the cool tags. Should be easy-peasy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe I am over thinking this... but I was concerned that when the MVA looks at the NC title OR goes to create a new title they will see it doesn't have an 17 digit VIN number....

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
That is not an issue, the NCDMV created ID# are just sequential.
Mine has "NCS#####" on it

There should be two NCDMV stickers in the car with a number matching the inspection report & Title.

This number is generated when the NC Theft Bureau does its inspection.

I have one on the square tube next to the FFR stamped #. They put the other one on the front cross member. The inspector asked me where I wanted the stickers located.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,646 Posts
Definitely you want an historic tag.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Duh... don't I feel dumb.

Well you'd think it be easy, but first rule of this car is NOTHING is easy. The first mistake was going to MVA seeking guidance. The second mistake was saying kit car/hod rod/street rod. All sort of bells and whistles went off. When I showed them the NC inspection report that had mileage listed as "9.7 ?" Yes, nine point 7 followed by question mark. Third mistake was definitely mine as I said, well I'm not sure sure the odometer is working... Bad, very bad. The MVA folks went apoplectic...

So I took the advice here and went to a tag and title service (Terry's Tag & Title) in my nearby town of Eldersburg, MD. No problems at. In an out in 10 minutes WITH tags and registration in hand, no inspection. I brought my paperwork, explained my situation and no problems. They didn't care the car was a kit car. The NC title indicated 1967 Cobra and that's all they focused on Mileage? No a problem. They listed the new title with some designation like 'so old doesn't apply'. My car is registered now in MD with historic tags as a 1967 Cobra!

Again, thanks much.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You folks are the best! I'd buy beers for everyone but I figure that'd break the bank for sure! I'm going to try (fingers crossed) to make a car show out in Frederick, MD assuming the weather holds up. There's a charity event this Saturday. Now there's the little matter of changing out the front brake caliper but that's another story...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts