Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone share their experience obtaining a VIN, title and registration in the State of Virginia. Especially interested in your lessons learned so I might avoid these pitfalls.

Any information will be appreciated

·
Registered
673 Posts
first make sure you have insurance
then take your manf cirtificate of orgin to dmv fill out the registration form, check you want atique plates for no inspections or leave it blank and be treated like any other car
write a check for tax on purchase of kit
walk out with registration in hand

·
FFR 4331
1,114 Posts
Originally posted by pleibund:
Can anyone share their experience obtaining a VIN, title and registration in the State of Virginia. Especially interested in your lessons learned so I might avoid these pitfalls.

Any information will be appreciated
Umm, heads-up; this guy has one post on the board and the first thing he asks about is registration info for VA.

Was the first thing any of you posted on this board registration related? Or was it more like. "I've bitten by the snake and I don't know where to start...what kit is the best"?

This could be a DMV guy in disguise. Just call me paranoid...no offense 'pleibund'.

CJ

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just a little paranoid CJ he might be moveing over from the "other" forum. Just a thought... good to be cautious though....

MDFF

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Where in NoVA are you? We have a Capital Area Cobra Club with about 65 members and 25-30 Cobras. We're a pretty active bunch, with something going on nearly every weekend. You're welcome to join us sometime. Word of warning though, you need to be about 2/3 wacko to hang w/ our group! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry no DMV guy in disguise here. Moved around for 27 years with the Navy. Now land locked in Centreville, VA. I've been looking at building a Cobra for years. Had been looking at ERA and found their approach unaffordable (also a pretty arrogant bunch at Carlisle last weekend) Got a Virginia form VA 22 back in 94 which led to more questions than it answered. In any event, last Friday, my oldest son and I attended the event at Carlisle. Factory Five's approach re-kindled the interest because it provided an affordable alternative. My son joined the Capitol Area Cobra CLub last night and I do intend to follow suite. I just want to make sure that I understand enough about VIN, Registration, Title and that I don't create problems for myself. I knew a ship's chief engineer several years ago for example that built a cobra and chose to rebuild an older engine so he could avoid installing a catalyic converter. Do I need to consider this when I chose an engine, for example

·
FFR 4331
1,114 Posts
Originally posted by pleibund:
Sorry no DMV guy in disguise here. Moved around for 27 years with the Navy.
Mia culpa. As you hang around here, you'll see why this can sometimes be an issue.

Check out this link for starters:

http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/registering.html

The guys in CACC would be your best bet. BTW - thank you for your service to our country.

CJ

·
Senior Charter Member
321 Posts
I had my need for a Cobra rekindled at Carlisle and now have one under construction in my garage in Montclaire VA. Your welcome to take a look any time.
Cheers,
Chandler

1 - 8 of 8 Posts