Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,252 Posts
I first did mine 10 years ago. It was pretty easy then, and it's even easier now.

If you go to the state web site and do some searching, you'll find the actual regulations and instructions. Print them out, and take them with you to the DMV. Sometimes the clerk is not familiar with the regs.

You want the car registered as a kit. Kit cars do not need a smog test any where, at any time.

Some people have managed to get their cars registered as a classic. That's nice, because registration is cheap, and only every 5 years. But it's an error, and definatly not legal. If the state figures it out, you'll be stuck for back taxes and registration fees.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Just went through it last fall. I live on the north side of Denver, so used the Longmont clerk's office. Not too bad, but I had to train the person I was dealing with.

As indicated by Bob, first get the instruction packet from the state with required forms. Trailered car to State Patrol office in Broomfield to have the car inspected and fill out first form (examine receipts, safety insp., didn't have to fire up car). Then that form, and other paperwork, submitted to you local registering county clerks office. That clerk sends everything to State office. My first submission to State was rejected because I didn't include mileage form, which I didn't think was necessary for zero miles. And zero will not work on the form, it has to be 1, or more. Once that is approved you can make appointment with State Patrol in Lakewood to have vin attached to car. Then back to county to apply for title and plates. At some point the county will issue you paper plates so you don't have to trailer anymore. Some of my receipts they didn't want (and I didn't argue), so saved a little on sales tax.

Good luck. Ralph.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,369 Posts
Just went through it last fall. I live on the north side of Denver, so used the Longmont clerk's office. Not too bad, but I had to train the person I was dealing with.

As indicated by Bob, first get the instruction packet from the state with required forms. Trailered car to State Patrol office in Broomfield to have the car inspected .

I know that this thread is a couple months old now....but wanted to update . I just built (and sold) another motorcycle and they no longer do inspections at the Broomfield offices. I was sent to Golden.

The inspector was VERY thorough, and sent me home twice with what I considered minor issues that would have been fine in Broomfield (plate was vertical not horizontal, bars were wider than 36", by 1/2 ", and because of this 1/2" required directionals, horn, and exhaust too loud).

I know the above is motorcycle specific, but I watched him inspect a car rebuild with a salvage title and he wasn't any easier on them.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,369 Posts
You want the car registered as a kit. Kit cars do not need a smog test any where, at any time.

I moved here with my car from another state and it was titled as a "replica". In August this year I got notice that I needed an emissions test to renew registration. It took 2 months, but a guy at the Lakewood DOR (his name is Luke Spiker) was awesome and had my title changed to "Kit"

The exact work KIT is VERY important here

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.