Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you go about registering a domain name? and then selecting someone to host a website?

Thanks.

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
Any of the big search engines should be able to point you to a hosting site.

I use IPowerWeb for my website, if you pay for a year at a time they include the domain name registration for free.

·
15,282 Posts
I like GoDaddy.com. Good pricing, nice web interface once you're a customer (for managing the domain), etc. I haven't used their hosting, but I hear it's fine, and pricing is pretty decent depending on what you need.

Cheers, John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep, godaddy.com for registering.

I use MidPhase for hosting and I've been pleased with them so far. Not too expensive and good service.

If you have DSL at your house, you can usually host from there if your bandwidth requirement isn't too big. Hosting a website on cable is usually a violation of the EULA - but DSL for some reason is normally ok with hosting your own website.

Check out what is known as LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) if you want to get some grease under yer fingernails writing your own site.

www.apache.org
www.php.net (the PHP programming language)
smarty.php.net (HTML template engine for use with php)
www.mysql.com
fedora.redhat.com (a common linux distro)
www.gentoo.org (a better linux distro
)

For 10 to 15 users at a time, you can get good performace running the above software on a old Pentium2 100MHz / 128MB ram desktop if you aren't image happy.

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
Godaddy's domain registration is rightly recommended IMO, but their technical support for hosting is a bit lacking :(

www.jatol.com offer good value for money packages and excellent customer support (their techs are happy to talk via msn messenger to sort any problems) for your hosting.

·
Junior Charter Member
582 Posts
Yup. Register.com is a pretty good site for registering your domain name. We use it at work. It's pretty straight forward.

Once you decide on where to host it (I use Yahoo) you will have to update some information (DNS servers from your hosting company if I remember correctly) using register.com.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts