Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. I searched but only found a similar question, no answer.

How does the registration process work in NJ exactly? What does the title say? "'65 Roadster" with a rebuilt notation? Can it start at zero miles? I understand that NJ has a separate inspection process for kit cars but haven't learned much else.

Thank you,

·
FFCobra Craftsman
767 Posts
Where in NJ are you located? Are you nearly finished, just starting, just ordering?

I have no idea about registration, and I'm wondering too...

-Steve in NJ-

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Satanpez:
Where in NJ are you located? Are you nearly finished, just starting, just ordering?
Middletown. Exit 114.
I haven't ordered yet though I have the go-ahead from the girlfriend (who's participating financially). Now it's up to me to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am going to purchase the kit soon, but before I do, I would also like to know what it takes to register/inspect a kit car.

From what I have heard from some friends who have done engine swaps, is that you must take the vehicle to Trenton to get inspected?? Now I do not know if this is true, but if it is that is a pita.

Paul

·
Senior Charter Member
226 Posts
I'll see if I can do this from memory. I'm at work and all my notes are at home. Mine has been on the road for 3-1/2 years so I'm not sure if it's still the same process.

First thing you should do is call DMV in Trenton and ask for the group that handles reconstructed vehicles. Tell them you are building a kit car and ask them to mail you an information package and all the forms you need. There are a number of forms that need to be filled out. When the car is almost complete or at the point where it would be driveable, you will need to mail the forms along with copies of receipts, certificate of ownership from FFR, 5 photographs (1 of each side, front, rear & interior), etc. to DMV. After that (about a month in my case) they will contact you to set up an appointment for an inspection. They asked that I have the car on jackstands. They came out to my house and went under and over the car. They seemed mostly concerned with the brake and fuel lines. They suggested a couple minor changes (nothing that I had to do) and then left. They spent about 30 - 45 minutes looking the car over. They said they would send their report to Trenton and I would then get my title in the mail. They were at my house on a Thursday and the following Wednesday my title came in the mail. I then had to go to an inspection station and go thru a regular inspection. My car was titled as a 1999 REC COB. REC for Reconstructed (that's where they put all kit cars) and COB for Cobra. My engine is a 1992 and had to meet 1992 emmision requirements.

Now the good part. Since that time, NJ came out with a "Collector Car" category. Collector cars no longer have to go thru inspection. But, they are limited to 3000 miles per year and they do inspect the odometer every two years. So in any 2 year period you can't exceed 6000 miles. You can go either "collector car" or as a regular every day driver which is what I origianlly did. I have since switched to collector car.

Again, I did this over three years ago, so I have no clue whether it is still done the same way or not. I did not have any problems with any of the inspectors or other people I dealt with. They were all OK. But there are different people depending on where you live, so you very well may have someone different than who I had. The worst part is the waiting. The car is almost done and you're anxious to drive it.

Feel free to e-mail me if you still have questions. Good luck!

Barry

·
5,042 Posts
I wanted to do a carb version and needed info about emmissions (I'm in NY state). What I came up with was a method whereby the vehicle is registered in another state first as a '65 Ford Roadster. Then the 'dealer' who you sold the car to (!!!) sells it back to you with a valid title, bill of sale etc. and my state must register it. Here is a web site for you to check out....
http://www.titlesunlimitedinc.com
There are others but these guys look OK. Haven't get the kit Yet but am working on stripping the donor. I'll use these guys next April.

FFR #3737

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
WARNING!!! I stronly recommend you do NOT use Titles Unlimited. What they do is called "title washing" and it is illegal in most states. I know New Jersey has cracked down on this. Take it for what it's worth. Not a threat or an angry note. It can lead to very bad things. Please be careful.

Steve

·
5,042 Posts
Actaully that's not strictly true. Title washing is a process of removing information regarding a vehicle having been labeled as salvage by registering the car in a State with less stringent standards then registering again in a State that does. This removes (washes) the salvage information from the title. What Titles Unlimited Inc. is doing here is establishing the FIRST title when one does not exist. Since there are no illegal acts taking place (all forms filed are answered truthfully) it is not an illegal act.
Is an FFR a 1965 ford roadster? Well it certainly isn't a ford mustang, and it also isn't a 2002 anything since a large number of the parts are over 15 years old. FFR issues a certificate of origin stating that the car is a 65 ford roadster and this is used to establish the first title. I fail to see how this can be either illegal or title washing.

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the good advice. I put a deposit down this morning. Better give Trenton a call.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Title washing can take many forms. The most common is as you describe, removing the salvage label from a title. However, intentionally titling a car in another state, just to return it back to your state in order to change information on the title (such as changing the model year from 2002 to 1965) is also title washing, and is illegal. It's also done to hide mileage, remove "former taxi" and other labels from titles.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm a Special Investigator for an auto insurance company, and am actively involved in matters such as this. Trust me when I tell you that you should not do this. It can lead to some very harsh consequences.

Believe me, I would love to see the rules changed for these "kit" cars, and would fully support any bills that did that. I think these cars should not be subject to the same emissions laws as regular passenger cars, or even some of the same safety rules. But, since I don't make the rules, we've got to deal with what we have.

Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts