Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
3,798 Posts
Craftsman, I have a 3/8 and a 1/2 inch size.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I have a Crafstman 1/2" that I am very happy with.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I just bought the 1/2 drive Craftsman 20#-150# Microtorque. There on SALE. $60.00

Jack

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I purchased a 1/2" and 3/8" drive at Harbor Freight for about $20 a piece. Probably not the best, but they seem to be close enough for my needs.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,708 Posts
Just make sure you get the click type.The viewing angle usually sucks on the bending arm type so your accuracy goes way down.On a few bolts,you can see it great but then others it's bad.You need repeatable torque.By that I mean I'd rather have headbolts off by 5 lbs but all the same.My 2 cents

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
The 150# wrenches will do Almost everything on the car.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Order the clecko's and the plyer from Tri-State motor sports. About $50.00 for the plyers and 60 clecko's

·
FFR Master Procrastinator
348 Posts
I borrowed a torque wrench from Autozone. Its free, and you can keep it as long as you like. I think you only need the wrench maybe 20-30 times. If you arent going to use it again, why not save a few bucks.

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
I have 2 of the Craftsman wrwnches and thier great!!!! I would suggest to aviod foot-inches and go for a foot-pound scale the math conversion (1=1/12) is a PITA! Just a tool tip, for accuracy, at the end of the day put/store your torque wrench to ZERO!

Prost,
Rich

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
a 1/2" drive click type tq. wrench will be the most used on your build. That size will handle anything that gets bolted on the car and most of what would get tq'ed on the engine. Unless you are doing a rear gear set up you would have no need for a scale type wrench or inch pound wrench. Engine work aside from maybe intake manifold bolts where a 3/8 wrench might be better
the 1/2" side still the most used. For the price a Craftman will be fine.

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
2,811 Posts
my HF torquer lasted about 2 weeks before it quit clicking. Bought 2 craftsman 150# and 250# on sale. Couldn't be happier. Snap-on would be nice, it's what I grew up with, but 1 would cost 4x what I paid for both Crafty's. Can't beat the warranty either.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I have looked around alot for the clecos (basically because I am thrifty). Cokid ($8) has lowest price on pliers, closely followed by Jegs and Summit ($9). I think best price on clecos was Finishline at $3 for 25 or about 12 cents a piece; their pliers are $13 which probably are worth ordering at the same time.

Pays

·
Registered
2,233 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The dreaded double post... I gotta go get my coffee!!

·
4,342 Posts
2 Craftsmen Clicker Torque Wrenches. 3/8" 10-75 ft/lb & 1/2" 50-200 ft/lb. I never buy anything from Harbor Freight with moving parts. Got my Clekos and rivnuts from Aircraft Spruce.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
The 150 ft/lb wrench will do most everything that's needed, except if you have IRS and/or SN95 type spindles, the spindle nuts require 190 to 240 ft/lbs torque.
Sears quit honoring their lifetime warranty on torque wrenches, and the click type are fraigle, so they need extra care. The beam type are actually the most accurate and can sometimes be a PITA to use, but will last forever.
John

1 - 20 of 30 Posts