Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, I'm working on my forward firewall. I put the body on to see if the firewall is touching the body, and indeed it is at the top crown of the firewall.

Is there a recommended gap between the firewall and the body? I imagine there is some dimension to allow the weather stripping that goes on top of the firewall to have room.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

·
Senior Charter Member
1,871 Posts
The old trick back in the day was to take a Sharpie marker, lay it flat against the under side of the body then run the point against the panel all the way across. The resulting mark is the cut line that should leave you with the gap needed for the seal strip. This works for the needed gap on all the panels that get seal strips on top, at least it did on my MKIII.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A big Thank You to all of you.
Dave

·
Registered
511 Posts
The old trick back in the day was to take a Sharpie marker, lay it flat against the under side of the body then run the point against the panel all the way across. The resulting mark is the cut line that should leave you with the gap needed for the seal strip. This works for the needed gap on all the panels that get seal strips on top, at least it did on my MKIII.
DIDO Dave M. This is one of the first things covered at the build school. Lots of great tips from the guys at Motts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.