Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Baghdad Bob
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a package and info on the IRS issue some of us had been seeing. Not me as I am still building...

Apparently the original axle shafts (May) be too short.

First fix is a set of spacers and a procedure to look under the boots to deteremine if you need them to be installed.

Second fix is a buy new longer axles from FFR. I havent seen a price on them as yet.

·
Master of my Build
2,045 Posts

·
Baghdad Bob
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know that there is a problem with the axles. Are you saying the cost of new axles is $40 plus shipping. ?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I just called them. They will sell new complete CV Joints (the entire assembly of the half shaft) for about $125-150 per side. You can also purchase just the axle and send yours out to be re-done (each about $40 bucks).

I will be in this boat. I think that FFR should receive the shorter ones provided to us for partial credit though....

·
Baghdad Bob
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did ffr tell you how much longer the new axles for the IRA are? I have not done anything with the spacers as yet and would like to hear other opinions here form others. Which way are you gonna go?

I certainly don't want my differential to be torn up cause of this.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Can anybody say if this is a problem for t-bird axels? I got the IRS retrofit kit for a standard frame and I'm wondering if I should be concerned. So far it seems everybody is talking only about axels made/sold by FFR?

·
6,296 Posts
The OEM T-Bird axles are waaaay too long for use on a roadster. Standard width means standard roadster width, not T-Bird. Pin drive is shorter yet.
Frank

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,991 Posts
Hard to believe FFR messed up and they want to charge for the fix. It's a small charge but....

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Thanks Frank. Pinging LuisL...any chance you remember what axels I got from you? I'll shoot you a PM here shortly, I've got crap bandwidth this morning.

·
Baghdad Bob
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CV Shaft axle rebuild

I wanted to find out how easy/difficult it was to replace the axels on these half shafts in case I opt for that option. Here is a video I found on youtube.

it looks pretty straightforward!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h_i-KOd4l4

·
Master of my Build
2,045 Posts
Good video, but they didn't discuss greasing it joints or how much. Also that unit was already degreased. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Baghdad Bob
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I agree, that tri lobe has been degreased in that video and I would like to know correct amt. The other link on here also talks about the tri lobes being not assempled onto the axle correctly.

see link, and post #1 (oneillpete)

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/292076-irs-cv-joint-popped-out-7.html

I recieved the halfshafts assembled with all the parts ready to be installed into the car which i did. I did not disassemble the shafts, nor did i measure the length of the complete shafts. Nor did i remove the inner boots to check the tri lobe assembly.

I spoke to someone at ffr this week and he said part of the issue may be that the Heim joints may be cranked out too far, possably in attempt for more wheel camber. That over extending the heim joints would push the wheel out of the splined axle a bit also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.