Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Check out the videos on YouTube by Paul Cangialosi. His channel is Gear Box Video. In a video titled "How to rebuild a T5 world class transmission - G-Force Gears Part 2", and at around 21:30 he shows what's necessary to install a .80 overdrive gear, (sorry I don't know how to link the video). Quite the process, but doable. You can actually email, or call him with any questions you have. He might have a better video that deals specifically with this issue that he could recommend. He also deals with it in his book. I thought about it, but didn't want to add any more cost than I had to.

Rick

·
Registered
385 Posts
To change the OD ratio, you will need to change both the OD gear AND the cluster. Not a cheap endeavor, and it requires disassembling the entire tranny! If it were me, I'd get used to the 0.63 gear! What is your rear end gear ratio? Changing it may be easier and cheaper! :surprise:
Thanks - I think!! I am planning to change the rear end ratio. It is currently 3.27 - nobody to blame but me because I picked it - but I want to change the rear end ratio to either 3.55 or 3.73 this winter. 3.73 is my current thought. With my current tires, etc., that gives 65 mph at 2000 rpm in 5th gear. Right now it is 1750 rpm at 65 mph, which is too low!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Good thinking on the rear end ratio change. I run 3.55's in mine and first gear can be a bit "exciting" to say the least... 3.73's might make it even scary! I'd recommend running the tranny as it is until you replace the rear gears, then decide about changing the tranny OD ratio.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts