Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this question goes out to those that have done this before, whether multiple times, or if you decided to try it as a first time. I've never rebuilt a transmission, but I do have a press and what appears to be all the tools that would be necessary. I had purchased Paul Cangialosi's book on Manual Transmissions, and found two videos on Eric the Car Guys YouTube channel where Paul does a detailed teardown/rebuild over two 1 hour videos.

Question is, would you attempt this rebuild if you were me? I priced having it done by a local shop, but between the cost, and not being certain how well the work would be done I get concerned. I know we have some excellent vendors who could do a great job, but again we come back to the cost. I'm reaching that point where I really don't want to put large sums of cash into things that I originally thought were OK, so if it's something that can be accomplished, even by a novice, with a reasonable result, I think I'd like to go that way.

If you think I'm kidding myself, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Rick

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I've thought of it too, and watching these videos make it look possible.

https://youtu.be/XREsRG9Y1mU

https://youtu.be/mR8LetFQSoc

I hope you attempt it. I might find a donor and try it one day too.

I don't think you're kidding yourself. Wish I was close to you, we could do them together.

·
Registered
387 Posts
They are really not too difficult to rebuild. You just need to be able to follow the manual exactly and make sure you have the correct parts. If the thought of rebuilding a transmission doesn't scare you off, then you can probably do it.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Just like you are planning it was my first transmission. I've built many engines but never a transmission.

I used the book you mentioned and the videos by Eric the Car Guy. In addition I used videos from Bad Shoe productions.
I had a World Class rebuild kit and it turned out to be easy to follow the videos and Paul's book. During my rebuild I ended up calling Paul Cangialosi on several occasions with some questions I had regarding a part that he sold. He was very receptive to my questions.

However, while I don't recall what I spent, it was at least $1000 on parts that needed to be replaced and that was above the cost of the WC rebuild kit I already had. The dog teeth of several gears were damaged and the gears needed to be replaced. The hard part was sourcing the parts. I ended up ordering parts from three different vendors and not all the parts were original Tremc parts. Even though Tremec still builds and sells this transmission they seem to fall short in producing replacement parts.

There was one gear that, at first, I could not find a replacement part for so I went about using a Dremel grinder and re-sharpened the dog teeth to what I think was a good job but I later found the replacement gear so I did not use it.

While I'm glad I was able to take on this new challenge I think it might have been better if I'd bought a new one considering the cost of parts and the trouble I went through sourcing them. I would have also gotten a better torque rated transmission from the 1989 one that I rebuilt.

I also had a blast cabinet that I was able to blast the casing with glass and it turned out looking like a new case. You cannot easily remove the grease stains from years of use except by blasting.

I'm not yet on the road but the plan is to be running by the end of the summer.

I took lots of pictures if interested.

George

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I just typed a detailed reply, and this POS Samsumg tablet didn't post it, and it disappeared. Not the first time. Anyhow...
Dave, those are the videos that gave me the confidence to even consider this. Paul Cangialosi is the man when it comes to these transmissions.
Ray, thanks for the reference to MDL. It'll be a great reference.
Bob, i think you're right. Just need to eliminate the intimidation factor.
George, your experience is what i worry about. I've had the case open on this trans when i did the S10 tail shaft swap, and the internals looked pretty nice. I guess i won't know untill i get it disassembled.
Anyhow, i think I'm going to give it a try. It's something I've always been interested in trying. I'll try to keep everyone posted as I proceed. Wish me luck.
Thanks to everyone.

Rick

·
Senior Charter Member
6,384 Posts
Do It...

Rick,

I replaced the synchros in my T-5 with just my normal hand tools. The one part that sometimes needs pressing actually came off quit easy with merely bumping the shaft on a wooden block (a procedure described in my (pdf file) manual. There are several places to source the needed parts so that shouldn't be a problem.

Do It and enjoy the experience.

Regards, Rick.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Anyhow, i think I'm going to give it a try. It's something I've always been interested in trying. I'll try to keep everyone posted as I proceed. Wish me luck.
Thanks to everyone.

Rick
Good for you:thumbup:

George

·
Junior Charter Member
1,382 Posts
I have found that these kinds of things sometimes come out more expensive doing it yourself. There are a number of reputable transmission rebuild shops that can provide a rebuilt T5 for a pretty good price, and you know the total price. Just my experience.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Good for you to give it a try. I hope it works out for you in the best way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What a timely thread. I am still a few years away from ordering my kit and just recently picked up my donor and have been driving it regularly. I have trouble with grinding while shifting into 3rd when power shifting. Doesn't happen when shifting slowly and/or deliberately. I am starting with a new clutch cable cable and adjustment, but fully expect the 3-4 synchro is worn out.

I have watched all the videos above and am contemplating doing the work myself, but it comes down to money and time. If only the synchro needs replacement, I can easily do this cheaply, but if I tear it down and find worn gears, forks, etc there is no way to fix it for less than the cost of a rebuilt unit.

At least one advantage of moving the drivetrain to the kit will be having it all out and accessible. Once that is done, tearing it down far enough to inspect for damage won't cost much other than time.

Good luck.

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
I did it you just need to be methodical and label all parts as they come out.

I used the Hanlon Motorsports video

Your store. Rebuild Videos

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the support guys. I figure one way or another I'll get this done!
Joe, I'll be sure to keep everything organized, and like you, I label everything when I take it apart. Big thing for me is to make sure that I don't get interrupted, and have a delay in getting started on the assembly. That's when I find I have the hardest problem remembering which parts are which. I'll keep the Hanlon Motorsports video in mind.

Rick

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
Thanks for the support guys. I figure one way or another I'll get this done!
Joe, I'll be sure to keep everything organized, and like you, I label everything when I take it apart. Big thing for me is to make sure that I don't get interrupted, and have a delay in getting started on the assembly. That's when I find I have the hardest problem remembering which parts are which. I'll keep the Hanlon Motorsports video in mind.

Rick
The Hanlon DVD is so easy to use on a lap top. Just stop it where you stop working. Next time at bench startup rewind a few minutes to refresh your memory and all is good. I did mine over about a 3 week period in January. He was also great when I messed up some of the "keys", tiny delicate parts, he just let me buy them. He is a trans services shop he has all the little parts on hand, I bought the rebuild kit M-7000-A and was good to go.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so I wanted to give an update on how this went. I took my time, followed the book and the videos, and got the trans stripped down completely. Right down to the empty case, and even disassembled the top cover. Everything in the transmission was original, but other than the bearings and synchros, it was in amazing shape. All of the gears were pristine. I don't know, maybe this was out of a Mustang that was wrecked like a week after it was bought! I don't know, but I think I got extremely lucky. I used Paul Cangialosi's rebuild kit, which includes his steel counter gear stabilizer plate. I also got the heavy duty one piece shift finger, and got a tube of anerobic sealant.
It turned out that I was running a fever when I was taking the trans apart, due to the fact that I was in the process of passing about a 5mm kidney stone! Apparently I was not too coherent until I got the infection knocked down. Anyhow, it caused a few issues that Paul was able to walk me through to get corrected, and I was able to get it finished day before yesterday, including setting the end play. Put a shift lever on and was able to take it through the gears. It shifted way smoother than I expected with me doing the rebuild. I have an all steel front bearing retainer ordered through Paul, so I may have to adjust the end play when it arrives. No big thing.
So my take on doing this yourself, for the very first time, get Paul's book, watch the videos, and take your time. As other people have said, keep all the parts organized. All the races, bearings, synchros, spring clips, washers, roll pins, etc. are in the rebuild kit, so keep in mind that all the original stuff is going away. Make sure to get everything as clean as you can. Don't allow dirty parts to go back into the case. The biggest thing was putting the sliders back together. I got a bit disorganized, and put the hubs in backwards when I first built them. Couldn't figure what was wrong, but a picture sent to Paul, and he diagnosed the problem. Easy fix.
This isn't rocket science. As my father in law used to say, "are you telling me that the guy that put that together was smarter than you?" Great motivator over the years.
Thanks so much for all the support guys! If anyone has any questions, let me know, and I'll try to answer them.

Rick

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I forgot to mention that I spent about $500.00 total.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Rick,
This is great to see! Very Proud of your effort and what you've done. I'm thrilled that you took it on! Great Job!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Dave. I guess we'll see how good my rebuild is if and when I ever get to the point of getting this thing finished! It was actually a lot of fun, even if I did have to do some things two and three times to get them right. But then, why should this be any different than anything else I've done on this car. I wish I had taken more pictures, but I'm the world's worst at remembering to stop and take a picture.

Rick

·
Registered
375 Posts
A slight variation of this thread. I have a T5 with a 0.63 overdrive ratio that is a pain. I would like to change it to a 0.8 or so overdrive ratio. Just wondering if this change would be much easier than rebuilding the whole transmission or would I need to take everything apart to reach the overdrive gear?

·
Registered
293 Posts
To change the OD ratio, you will need to change both the OD gear AND the mating gear on the cluster. Not a cheap endeavor, and it requires disassembling the entire tranny! If it were me, I'd get used to the 0.63 gear! What is your rear end gear ratio? Changing it may be easier and cheaper! :surprise:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts