Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the rear end totally apart to detail and paint it, also to change some bearings, and the gears and traction lock unit appear to be fine. Questions is, should I spend the extra mulah for gears, and the traclok rebuild kit? It is realy worth it if mine seem fine(the trac lok plates still have friction material on them)? I have 3:08's right now, and I don't think any more than that is worth it. I think driveability would suffer too much.
Whaddya think? Where are the cheapest prices on parts, and what is a good "comprimise" gear ratio? Also, any tips for the traclok rebuild if I do it?

Thanks,
Aaron

·
10,171 Posts
ummm.. if on a tight budget, put it back together and go..

if on a semi-tight budget, and you can do the work yourself get the bearing rebuild kit and go..

if there is no budget... give it to someone, put the rebuild kit in it and some 3:55's and honk it...

·
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Budget is not really an issue, as the pops whos car it is will be funding. Morose wants 150 to assemble the rear end and install gears, as long as I redo the trakloc, which seems easy enough. And they will let me watch so I can do it next time. After looking up gear prices, I think the 150 for the gears, the 50 for the trakloc rebuild, and the 30 or so for pinion bearing is worth it.

Are 3.55's driveable? What top speed are we talking reasonably in the first couple of gears?
Is 150 a good price to rebuild with me watching?
Thanks again

·
Registered
777 Posts
Aaron,

Assuming you have the standard T5 gear clusters (3.35, 1.93, 1.29, 1.0 and .68), you will see the following speeds at 5500 rpm in the first three gears with the 3.55 gearset (assuming a 26" diameter tire) : 36, 62 and 93 mph.

With your current 3.08 gearset, at 5500 rpm you should see speeds like: 41, 71 and 107.

Mike

[ May 03, 2002, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: MikeBraddock ]

·
Senior Charter Member
355 Posts
I know a tech at the local Ford dealership who will do a gear swap for $100 on a drum brake rear and $125 on a disc rear. Does them on his lunch hour. If I went thru the same dealer service dept. and filled out all of the paperwork, the job would probably go to the same guy and cost over $200. So, $150 isn't a bad deal if you don't know what you're doing.

Chris

·
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guy knows his stuff. He is one of the tech's in the Moroso chassis department. He builds and maintains all their race cars. The Ford dealer wanted a "couple" hours at 75 an hour, and no garantees that the paint would be alive and well when it came outta there. The moroso tech said that he would be extra careful as the rear end is already painted. I get good "vibes" from Moroso.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just put 3:55s in mine. Used to have 3:08s. Luv 'em.
I made the switch primarily to fix that big gap between fourth and fifth gears so I could cruise in fifth on the highway without having to speed to keep the rpms up. Really woke the engine up. Plus in third gear cruising through town now puts the whistle of the Vortec at just the right pitch.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
20,000 rpm! :eek: That must be one hell of a balance and blueprint job.

Works out to be about 630 mph!

[ May 05, 2002, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: GregR ]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Aaron,

$150.00 is a good price to have a rear set up by a guy that really knows his stuff. Definitely do the Traclok. And 3:55s are a good choice.

barrynGA

[ May 05, 2002, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: barrynGA ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts