Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Just wondering your input on reasonably priced engine and transaxle combinations that could get ya going and maybe replaced or upgraded at a later date.

How inexpensive can you get into it and have it reliable. (Assuming I'm not going to beat the crap out of it).

How much trouble pulling it later to do upgrade work?

Anyone ever sell engine/trans packages assembled?

Thanks.

Bob Leach

· Junior Charter Member
362 Posts
There is a GTM kit with trans and 01 donor on eBay right now. Bid at 10.6. Screaming deal for someone. No mention of the engine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

· Premium Member
13,271 Posts
I would say that as far as ease of upgrading later.......the engine harness is going to be (IMO, by FAR) the biggest headache. If you install a donor engine/harness now, and down the road you want to upgrade the engine to a new LS376, trying to figure out how to remove the donor harness and install a crate harness is going to not be a pleasant experience.

Other than that, if you're just planning on pulling the engine to do mechanical upgrades to it, this would not be an issue. The best thing you can do is plan ahead so that if you need to pull the rear sub-frame out of the car, you keep your electrical circuits back there so that you can pull the subframe without having to un-wire everything at the rear of the car.

· Registered
1,380 Posts
There's also the stock LS1 and used G50.

I sold the LS1 from my donor for $2300 and I see them listed in the lower $2k range. It can be upgraded for some very decent numbers especially for the light weight mid-engine design of the GTM.

I've also seen G50s form the $3Ks into the $4Ks. You could run it as is and upgrade later.

· Registered
16,319 Posts
LS1 and a G50 is a great combo to start with.

LS1 stock you should be able to get 300-400 HP.

If you get above the 500 horsepower mark, then you will probably want to look at upgrading the trans to something like the Mendeola.

· Registered
12 Posts
There is a GTM kit with trans and 01 donor on eBay right now. Bid at 10.6. Screaming deal for someone. No mention of the engine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
I am actually bidding on that car in VA for $10700. I am going to look at it in person with my father Sunday. Really looking forward to a GTM build if this deal goes through!

· Registered
1,380 Posts
I am actually bidding on that car in VA for $10700. I am going to look at it in person with my father Sunday. Really looking forward to a GTM build if this deal goes through!
I was thinking this was one you would want to see in person. Minimal description/pictures, the current bid and the incorrect serial no........It's either a scam or a friend listing it for his buddy.

When you see it check the chassis serial.

Good luck.

· Registered
133 Posts

If you get above the 500 horsepower mark, then you will probably want to look at upgrading the trans to something like the Mendeola.

Like Crash says, stock and used.

if you don't abuse it, the G50 will move the car around. you can then upgrade later or rebuild it to cover the additional HP that you upgrade to.
almost all the parts are in the kit to use the G50. the nickel and dime stuff will add up if you don't plan.

· Registered
24 Posts
Just a heads up, you should try to run through the parts checklist to makes sure things aren't missing, i've heard that's been a problem in the past with guys purchasing used kits.

· Junior Charter Member
2,087 Posts

I got a 40,000 mile takeout from a wrecked 2003 Vette for $3500 with computer, harness, and all accessories. It made 350 rwhp bone stock through my TKO 500.

· Junior Charter Member
2,087 Posts
You have for sale? Or that's what's in your car?

Bob Leach
It is what I have in my coupe. Give John a call and see what he can do for you 865-604-0498. He lives in Knoxville, TN and parts out wrecked Corvettes. He goes by 82ls1 on ls1tech.com.

· Registered
1,380 Posts
Remember too that you are not limited to procuring your LS1 from a C5. Other GM platforms are wrapped around an LS1. They're usually cheaper for that reason alone. Your chances increase for acquiring it locally also.

· Registered
1,553 Posts
Here's my set up.....

G50-01 5 speed (stronger than the 6speeds) 23k miles $2350.00

L33 out of a 2005 Silverado, xr269 cam/springs, 380hp, 29k miles $750

$3100.00 (not including the new clutch). Came with an old clutch too.

I did go donor... so before I sold of the LS1 from the Vette I swapped the GTM required parts off the LS1 to the L33, the buyer did not care as the engine was going in an old C10 pickup.

· Registered
134 Posts
Donor LS1 & G50

You can always part out a donor, sell what you don't need and likely end up with a free LS1 with low mileage and your donor parts. I did this and bought a used G50 for about $3500 with all needed accessories. I rebuilt the G50 through G-Box for about $1500 so ended up with a pretty solid base package for $5k. As some already stated you can upgrade the ls1 pretty reasonably and get some additional ponies. Don't need much for a 2500lb car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.