Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thankfully I'm just running stock donor gear. That looks gnarly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow... just wow! That's a first for me! Lucky they didn't lose a leg!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Master of my Build
2,032 Posts
Someone please explain how that happens? All the bolts fail on the clutch? One thing to explode and grenade but to do that seems impossible. Trying to learn from this.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Someone please explain how that happens? All the bolts fail on the clutch? One thing to explode and grenade but to do that seems impossible. Trying to learn from this.
I wonder if he bolted it in and didn’t use grade 8 hardware.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Bellhousing attached with zip ties :LOL:

·
Not a waxer
11,850 Posts
The clutch disc is intact so it obviously wasn't a clutch explosion. I'm thinking that the transmission input shaft broke and then when the driver stepped on the pedal to disengage the pressure plate it allowed the disc to get free. Nonetheless, yeah, a scattershield would have (should have) contained it!

Jeff

·
Registered
395 Posts
My guess is the flywheel exploded Then the clutch is free to go where it wants to. I had it happen in the late 60's. I found the clutch disc about 200 feet away. Never did find the pressure plate. Flywheel pieces came through the hood. Thank god the clutch was ahead of my feet in that particular car. I've always run a scattershield since.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Reminds me of this driveshaft explosion. UGLY injury and crazy car damage.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,051 Posts
There is no question that things can happen. For me, I already owned a nice Ford OE aluminum bell housing. So I used it. Ran 18-20 autocrosses per year for 13 years. The last 6 or so on new every 1.5 years Hoosier A6s and A7s and never had a problem. If I were going to run drags on actual drag tires it would be a much different situation and I'd have a steel housing.

·
Vegasjack
92 Posts
Lets see, do I put in steel bell housing cause there is a 1 in multi million chance of my Clutch coming out the bell housing unannounced, or do I put a parachute on my trunk in case I accidentally drive off a cliff?

·
Registered
387 Posts
It is an individuals choice. I have a 670 hp car from the factory with an aluminum bell housing.
Maybe my roadster with 500 hp will be OK with one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Its more how you drive than what you drive. You could (would) have no issues with 1000 hp with a good clutch and flywheel if you drive gently, but you could also blow up a clutch on a 100hp car if you are on slicks doing a bunch of redline clutch drops.

·
347 Posts
I use a QuickTime steel bell housing on my race car. Not only because it’s required by the SCCA GT-1 rules, but (more importantly) because it makes me feel extra safe. I also have two steel driveshaft loops.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts