Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started working on the rear vents today. Made a template and cut the FFR supplied mesh to fit. After cutting both (here it comes) I temporally put them in place and stepped back to admire my work. It didn't take long to realize the mesh did not sit square/level...the mesh ran at a 60 degree angle...

So I jumped on the PC and searched here and the web (McMasterCarr, Grangers, etc) and couldn't really find an exact replacement or info...not cheap either. Does anyone have a part number and source???

....or, am I being too anal (that's okay to say here, right? It's an anatomical term)??? Should I just glue the darn things in and move on?

· Senior Charter Member
2,969 Posts
Hi Chris

Not sure I understand your 60 degree thing but if it bothers you now it will bother you later.

I think Finishline has similar material but I'm not sure if it is identical.

Edit: This is what I remembered seeing...oil cooler aluminum mesh 20" x 8". Probably not what you are looking for but since the other mesh on the car isn't side by side it could work.

http://www.finishlineaccessories.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=342

Marc

· Charter Member
2,612 Posts
You could just cut a kidney shaped piece of aluminum and cover the area, paint to match body, most of the original 6 did that.

Rob

1,769 Posts
like Marc says, if it bugs you now, it will really bug you later. However, if they are both the same, you should be good to go. If they are not the same, get the new mesh and cut them both again.

You can also call FFR and order the same stuff. Then you will only have to cut one side.

They do look good when they are done.

Regards, Mike

· Registered
588 Posts
Hey Chris, I'm just about at the same stage, so would like to learn from you before I start cutting; what exactly happened when you cut it? I'm not catching the 60 percent thing. Got any photos?

· Registered
3,666 Posts
If I'm catching it right Chris is talking about the grid lines on the mesh.
Maybe when you put the pattern on the car, put a level on it and make a mark. That way when you pull it you line the mesh grids up with the line and then form it. This way when you get it back on the car it should be square.

John

· Sno B Gone!
3,183 Posts
Chris,

There was a thread that talked about how these vents didn't work because of the low pressure area back there. As pictured above, they were covered in most of the pics I've seen.

HOWEVER!! I'd call FFR to get the same stuff if that's what you're planning. I can't imagine it's expensive.

My $.02

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JohnPR: About what John Dol said. I made cardboard patterns with 3/4 -1" boarders to give me room for the urethane glue (black) so it wouldn't flow out into the open mesh. I placed the pattern on the sheet of mesh, skewed it to fit and cut it. That offset the mesh pattern to the vertical...which I found out when I prefit the cut mesh. It's off about 20 degrees, not 60. See photos.

David: Thanks. Those SS screens look great...to bad I didn't see it before I ordered some aluminum mesh from McMasterCarr...2' x 2' for $45 plus shipping. Oh well:(

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8309/7983789895_7d79221d85_z.jpg

· Registered
588 Posts
Ah- got it now. Thanks guys. I will look out for that when I cut.

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked everywhere and in every department. Lowe's, Home Depot, local hardware, local metal supplier and OSH...building materials, window screen, hardware, BBQs and house wares...why BBQs and house wares...last night I BBQed some fish and we have a aluminum mesh grill I use...looks just like FFR mesh just a little lighter.

· Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mesh arrived today. I got it from McMasterCarr, part # 9305T97, $45 + $15 shipping...$15???? Yep, check out the box. It could have held a flat screen TV.

The mesh matches the FFR mesh.

· Registered
954 Posts
Chris

I've tried to match that Mcmaster Carr part # and it doesn't exist. All of the mesh numbers have 4 digits, 1 letter and 3 digits. Your part # has only 2 digits after the letter. Are you sure this is the correct number? Thanks

Bill

· Registered
954 Posts
Thamks guys. I stand corrected. I kept looking under wire mesh when I should have been looking under expanded metal. The first time I entered the part number the site couldn't find it. When I tried again after posting the thread it did find it. Sure have a lot of choices with Mcmaster Carr. This excercise gave me an idea . How about part #9303T32 - SS flattened mesh with 0.031' x 1.00' diamond openings for an inset grille to keep small stones and bugs out of the radiator?? Seems to me I saw a thread a while back where someone had some kind of unobtrusive mesh for a grille. Could even mount one of CS snakes which measures 4.25" high on the mesh. About $75 a pair on his website. Use one, sell the other??

Bill

· Junior Charter Member
725 Posts
I got mine from Finishline. I Don't care if they help with the ventilation, I really like the look.
roy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.