Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just finished the rear end. After bolting on wheels and lowering it to the ground on tires for the first time, I'm very concerned that we've done something wrong. On the passenger side, the suspension brackets are VERY close to the rear rim. I can barely get a finger between the rim and the closest point on the suspension bracket. Nothing rubs, and it rolls, but I need a little sanity check here.

Running the FFR moser rear end and 315's on the rear. We flipped the rear Koni's because the spring wanted to hit the bottom suspension bracket.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,560 Posts
Hey Joe,
No worries, they are all like that. The easy fix is to cut the corner off the bracket for extra clearance. I did this on my MK 1 back in the day and never had a problem. Just touch it up with some black Rustoleum or POR 15 so it doesnt rust. I will post up a pic if you need it.

Mike

BTW those rear meats look great on there. Nice clean build atmosphere too.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I have an IRS, so I'm sorry I can't be of assistance,
but I was admiring your rear tires as well.

What are they? Look very good on there.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,695 Posts
Mine are like that. Maybe 1/2" clearance.

Why is your panhard bar angled up to the left? Mine is level.

Greg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah, it just felt a little unnerving having that corner so close to the rear tire. I think that I can flatten out that panhard out a bit by raising it in the "slot" behind the right rear tire.

·
Premium Member
7,232 Posts
you'll be fine if you're just street driving it. If you ever decide to do any autocrossing or road-racing and bolt up a set of slicks, you may want to grind the corner of the bracket back a bit so you have 1/2" or more, else the wheel and axle will flex enough for it to rub on high-G corners. :beer:

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,507 Posts
Here is a pic of what you need to do. You will definately get some rubbing if you autox. I cut off the corner and welded a small triangle into the cutout. Even with this you can see there is a slight rub noted on hard cornering as there can be some flex in the brackets.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Should be ok as long as you have the same clearance on both sides.

Also the panhard bar should be level. Use the panhard bar to center the axle.

Make sure you check the driveline angle as well.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Get spacy

Joe:

I used a 4-1/2 inch grinder to take a little off the corner of the bracket and put in a 1/4 inch wheel spacer to give me a little more clearance at the inner wheel well panel also. Hard cornering and sticky tires will allow enought flex in the wheel, tire and axles to possibly allow some rub in there without the extral clearance.

Ron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.