Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting ready to install the aluminum rear splash panels behind the rear wheels on my Mark 4 roadster, and it appears that I will have to cut a pretty good slot out of them to clear the gas tank. Is this the normal situation? Do you just cut all the way down from the edge of the gas tank so the tank can be dropped for body bolt access without removing the panels? Thanks for sharing your experiences.

·
Charter Member
2,649 Posts
Jim, assuming you have the body bolted on remove the rear wheel.
Using cardboard make a templete for the splash guard. i had to trim a lot of mine as well and working with cardboard was significantly easier than trimming and retrimming the aluminum. I recall I made a small bracket to attach the lower corner of the gusrd to the tank flange, very careful not to drill to close to the inside seam to cause a fuel leak. It helped to keep the guard in place. Install the wheel and make sure you don't have and clearance issues. Then transfer the pattern to the aluminum. leave enough room for the bulb seal between the guard and the body.
HTH,
Bob Mac

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
This is a Mk3, but from what I can tell on my current Mk4 build, will be the same. I put this notch on both sides.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
part of the gas tank flange can be bent.
it will take a few in and outs with the splash panel, i cut mine an inch longer than what needed to be cut off and then turned a 90* bend on it towards the front, looks like it grew there.
its about 5.5" level across the bottom where it meets the bulb seal and body, then it turns to the 90* bend which rakes up on an angle along the tank.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,679 Posts
One of my pet peeves is to be able to see the rear splash shields hanging down too far, from behind. I push them in place but always look from the rear and tilt them until I can't see them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.