Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people doing to cover the rear shock towers in the trunk? I don't see any AL from FFR that will cover them?

Thanks

JC

·
Senior Charter Member
2,969 Posts
Hi JC

This is what I did...if I were to do it over I would make a smaller box for the shock towers and flat plates for the rollbars.

I just noticed that I don't have the roll bar plate on in the picture.

Marc

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
Like Marc,
I made a small box, riveted to the floor, with bulb seal around the edge on the wall.

Rob

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Of course I did something completely different..

I cut the side panel down.

I cut a smaller piece with angles so it would. I made it short so I could make a recess, but it could have gone all the way.

Here is the recess. It is for ducting, brake mechanisms and speakers.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
A couple of other little things I did.

I welded some tabs around the rear roll bar mounting locations. This will make sealing the panels easier.

And then I made some fiberglass pieces to cover everything.

This should cover my rear shock towers. ;)

·
Junior Charter Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow Oxide. That is a nice set up. Thanks for all the replies, I've got some good ideas now.

JC

·
Senior Charter Member
2,969 Posts
John

No major reason...I just think the box is a little bulkier than it needs to be. It looks pretty clean but Rob's is a little less bulky.

Marc

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Since I do not own or have access to a break, I was thinking of simply molding it out of fiberglass. Basically using some styrofoam to cover the shock tower and molding some fiberglass around the foam.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
That is what I did for my fiberglass pieces. Taped foam board in the opening, some thick presentation board, and tape.

Then some mold release and then fiberglassed it and topped it with gelcoat to get the idea of the final colour.

Then some sanding to smooth it.

The final pieces will be covered with black vinyl.

·
Registered
301 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.