Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue with setting my rear ride height and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem. The issue is I can't seem to get both sides even. Running the 4 link with un-cut coils the drivers side is about two turns farther out than the passenger side. I have no adjustability left on the DS at all. The frame is 4.5 inches from the ground at the rear but it concerns me that the springs are wound at different amounts. This is a MK II chasis. My Mark I never had this issue. I have the upper CA set in the same holes, I disconnected the shocks and straps to make sure they were not binding. Checked the rear to make sure it was not bent. I even put brand new springs in. Any help would be much appreciated.

Walt

·
Registered
93 Posts
Had the same problem on my MK II. Turns out that the spring seats were welded at different heights. Coil overs are one solution although pricey. If you're running 17in rims you will want to run a lower ride height because the tire and rim combo are a lot shorter than 15in. When you try to run the 4 1/2in ride height you will run out of spring.

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
I would measure the height of the spring perch, swap the springs from side to side and see what the difference is. If the perchs are off, you'll have to make them the same. The distance that needs to be the same is from the lower arm perch to the first edge of the upper perch.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Forte's sells a neat coilover setup for the 4-link which is not all that expensive. It worked great for me. Now all I have to do is cut off those useless spring perches. His kit uses pro shocks and comes with s/s spacers. It still accomodates the quad shocks. I felt it was $$ well spent, and it saves time in the long run.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Before you go crazy, check to see that the front coilovers aren't preloading one side of the rear. Support the frame 4.5" off the ground at the front, from the center, without the wheels on. Try to find a narrow support, so the front crossmenber is like a seesaw. Now check your rear ride height. You might have one front spring too tight which is lowering the opposite rear corner. "Wedge" is not something you need in a roadster.

·
Junior Charter Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I get home today I will measure the perches to see if they are equal. I did verify that both front shocks are adjusted exactly the same to level the front when I set the height up but I will check them again. If the perches are wrong do I cut the welds and reposition the perch? I am running 15" TEAM III wheels with 295 BFG's just as an FYI.

Do I measure from the gound to the perches or from the bottom of the tube the perches are welded to?

walt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.