Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did anyone else have a larger gap on the DS lower rear shock mount than the PS one?
per manual from the rear of the car, I have the bolt, bracket, 1/8" shim, shock, 1.09" shim, bracket and nut.
The PS lower mount is snug with the shims in place. on the DS, there's still what appears to be a 1/8-1/4" gap. does this tab close up when we torque things down? haven't installed the pan hard bar yet, so I don't know if the tabs get tightened up or if I need to look for a larger spacer.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,115 Posts
The frame jigs seem to not always hold the ears perfectly parallel so the welding causes them to be slightly out of perfect alignment. So I look at the mount ears that the bolt is going through. They should end up parallel to each other when everything is tight. If they are splayed out now, I would start tightening the nut/bolt and see if they move towards parallel. When they get to, or close to, parallel figure out how much more shim/washers you need to make it tight.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tabs seem pretty parallel. PS tabs are a bit closer than DS shock mount tabs. Looks like I'm getting some washers.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,115 Posts
BTW, 5/8 is within a few thousandths of 16 mm so look at metric washers also as they seem to come in somewhat different thicknesses. Often they seem to have a nicer finish, a smaller OD for a given ID, and a more accurate ID, than fractional washers.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up using 2 washers to close the gap. Thanks for the suggestion on metric washers. Smaller OD for sure.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts