Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!!

From the Hoppy Website

Two types of taillight designs are found on vehicles; an independent bulb system and a common bulb system. If the brake light and turn signal operate from the same bulb, the taillight design is common. It the brake and turn work from separate bulbs, the design is independent. The industry standard found on trailers is a common bulb system. Vehicles will vary depending on the make and model. Any vehicle that has an independent bulb system must have a converter to "convert" the independent system to a common which is required on a trailer. A converter enables vehicles with independent brake lights and turn signals to provide proper lighting to the trailer. HTH hoppy

I didn't use one but many have. They are available at walmart and other auto parts stores. Looks like it's better to get a powered converter. If you search I'm sure you'll dig up something.

Here's a link to get you started. http://www.ffcars.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/087381.html?

·
Premium Member
16,719 Posts
I'd say the easiest way is no. The bulbs have 2 filiments. If you have the running lights on, that uses two filiments. One on the top light nd one on the bottom light. The brake light should be the brightest on top light and the turn should be the brightest on the bottom light. Running lights should be the dim filiment on both the upper and lower light. Like I dsaid this is the easiest way to light with no converter.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Official OLD GUY
3,875 Posts
Michael G,

There is another way to wire up both lights (on a side) to be both, turn and brake. You can wire in Double-Pole-Single-Throw relays. that way the bulb(s) are switching between brake power or turn signal power.

E-me if you want wiring diagrams

Doc

·
Junior Charter Member
319 Posts
if you are using a donner harness and relay its already set up. that is what I did
Ricardo

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The AAW instructions have a section on how to wire two or three different ways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.