Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked through the manuals (online and paper) and have looked through the forums. The question has been asked but I haven't seen a response of what works.

The wiring harness is set up with 4 wires to the rear lights.
1. Ground - Black
2. Purple - Brake
3. Tan - Taillights
4. Yellow/White - Turn Signals

The lights are set up with only 3 wires. The manual set it up like this.
1. White - Ground - Black
2. Red - Turn/Stop - Yellow/White
3. Black - Taillights - Tan

If you hook up only 3 wires you don't have brake lights. If you hook up the Yellow and White with the Purple on the same wire you will have both sides flash together. The only way I see this working is to in stall a diode on both sides to prevent feed back. But with this configuration your turn signals will not flash if you have the brakes on. How has everyone else hooked this up?

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
You can do it several ways,
Run brake to one light and signal to the other. Mine are set up so the top two turn on with the brake and the lower two blink with the signals. I used weather pack plugs and just wired them to be plugged into the lights a certain way to accomplish what I wanted. My colors are different than yours so colors won't help. Throw away the book and do what makes sense.
If I were to do it again, I think I would put a diode in the signal wire and have all four turn on with the brake and use the top two for signals. Either way, connect them together to see if it's right before the final wiring.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the brake circuit is spliced together any turn signal makes both flash. Also when you hit the brakes the turn signals don't work. I can use a diode to prevent the feed back for the flashers, but they still will not flash with the brakes applied.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,877 Posts
Question

Not sure what the '33 Hot Rod tail lights look like exactly but if you need them to work like a Roadster with single lenses, I have a circuit that will do just that. Example below is my car with all four on for brakes and both upper and lower for TS when activated. It will NOT affect the opposite side if the brakes are applied.
No diodes (unless using a single dash indicator), two relays from RatShack, under $20.00, can be configured many different ways, E-flashers with the addition of one more switch, works with TS levers that are column mounted or single On-Off-On toggle. Will work with LED replacement bulb units.

DEMO:

PM me if you would like the circuit and instructions . . .

Doc :beerchug:

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
Read post #5 in the second link. Not having done it myself, it sounded like it was the answer you're looking for. it sounds like the Converter of sorts is already built in the steering column. You just need to rewire it. Good luck.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,877 Posts
Diodes

won't help you here . . . once you tie one bulbs "bright element" power source to another, you circumvent the ability to make it come on steady with one source (brake) and expect it to blink with another source (TS). NOT going to happen.

You need to split the source feeding the bulbs . . . one from brake power feed, one from TS feed. That's what the relays control.

All this is NOT an issue if you decide to stick with separate bulbs for each function. Most want more visibility in the rear and that requires making more light come on at one time.

Doc :beerchug:

·
Registered
156 Posts
It not that hard.All you need to do is find the ground wire on the body harness.Then turn on the light and fine the tail light wire.Turn off the lights.Then step on the brakes and find that wire.Than all you have to do is connect the wires to the tail lights.Then go back and make sure everthing is working right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the help!!

I have finally found out what is wrong. The brake light circuit in the rear harness is not used. You disconnect at the main harness and connect it to the column harness, white wire (I completely missed this, the manual doesn't tell you to do this, but it does tell you that the brake light switch goes to the white wire.) Everything works fine now, no diodes or external relays.

Attachments

·
Building 33 HR #432
194 Posts
Need more Info.

I have been following your thread and was glad to see you found a solution but I don't understand it. Can you be more specific? There is the rear harness that plugs into the main harness then there is the flat connector from the main harness that plugs into the steering column flat connector and then the stop light switch has to be wired into somewhere. I found the diagram from your last post in my manual but it was just more confusing. Would appreciate any help you can give.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.