Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ordering stage one of my 33 soon and I'm looking for a 8.8 rearend within budget. just wondering Should I buy a new one build one out of eBay parts or grab one from a junk yard.
Any advice would be helpful

·
7,976 Posts
I dont think you can buy them new anymore, although there may be a few kicking around. There are a bunch of places that rebuild them to better than new. I have bought several from DiscBrakesRus. Tom is great to deal with and them do a great job on the 8.8s They are located in MA
Mike

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm ordering stage one of my 33 soon and I'm looking for a 8.8 rearend within budget. just wondering Should I buy a new one build one out of eBay parts or grab one from a junk yard.
Any advice would be helpful
If you go to MPS auto salvage (look at the advertisers on this site) they will build the rear end with right width, limited slip, any ratio, with the big cobra brakes complete. I paid 1200 1 year ago.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
MPS has a bunch on eBay right now.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
9,127 Posts
Hi Ortman,
I am selling a complete 8.8" Mustang rearend with with 31 spline axles, Ford Racing gear set, Trac Lock diff, bearing kit, new flange, new 11.65" or 10.5" rotors, new calipers, DOT approved Russell hoses and billet aluminum caliper brackets for just $1610.00.
Note: All parts are brand new except the housing. We recondition a used Mustang housing.
Below is the link to Steve's post last week.

http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...018-hey-thats-nice-rear-end-ya-got-there.html

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Another choice might be to check for a used late 87-88 T-Bird turbo coupe rear end. The stock 3.55 gears, and disc brakes are a bonus with them.

I bought the T-bird rear, and completely overhauled it, brgs, seals, trac-loc discs, shims, crush washer, etc., etc, all for around $450. Course if you don't rebuild it yourself, you can probably add another $250 for labor..

·
Registered
145 Posts
9" ford rear end

GUY,

Just a thought for you. We went on CRAIG'S List and found several 8.8" and 9" Ford rear axles within 30 miles of us.Purchased 9" axle with 4:58 gears that were in it for a Bronco,and the guy gave us 3:55 ring/pinion w/bearings.

Picked up for $220.00

Good lookin,

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GUY,

Just a thought for you. We went on CRAIG'S List and found several 8.8" and 9" Ford rear axles within 30 miles of us.Purchased 9" axle with 4:58 gears that were in it for a Bronco,and the guy gave us 3:55 ring/pinion w/bearings.

Picked up for $220.00

Good lookin,

Are the 9s any wider than the 8.8s? Or will they bolt in just the same

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another choice might be to check for a used late 87-88 T-Bird turbo coupe rear end. The stock 3.55 gears, and disc brakes are a bonus with them.

I bought the T-bird rear, and completely overhauled it, brgs, seals, trac-loc discs, shims, crush washer, etc., etc, all for around $450. Course if you don't rebuild it yourself, you can probably add another $250 for labor..
How much was it from the junkyard before the rebuild

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.