Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, another question.... I'm almost a roller (I know, pictures to follow).

I've got the standard 8.8" unit with 3.55 gear set and an Auburn pozi unit. I've done the 5 lug conversion with new axels. I haven't filled it yet and there's no drive shaft attached.

I just put on the wheels and noticed that there's a distinct play and noise in the rear end. I can move the wheels about an inch or so (in the standard rotation - front or rear) and there seems to be some slack before the other wheel moves accompanied by a click. There's no lateral slack or movement.

Is this normal? I'm hoping it will go away once I fill it with fluid.

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
The technical term for this is "lash". You are describing about 4.5 degrees of lash, which sounds high to me, but I'll let the experts chinme in.

Mike

PS. Laying of the beans for a while also helps with the "rear end noise". :D

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
If its not filled I'd pull the cover and check the back lash. If you dont know how look in a service manual or serch the net. It will require a magnetic base dial indicator. you simply place the needle of the indicator on the ring gear tooth and hold the pinion and measure how far the travel is when you move the ring gear or axle back and forth. I cant remember the exact setting but it should be around .010".

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
All gear makers have their own spec, but in general backlash should be between .008" and .012"

Hope that helps.

Look at the gear pattern also. You should be able to download instructions from just about any rear end company or gear vendor. Richmond, Yukon, Moser, to name a few.

At the wheel and tire you are feeling the combined backlash of the ring/pinion, the spider/side gears, the axle splines/side gears. This can add up and seem excessive when it's perfectly fine.

So you may be fine, but on the other hand, you may have a problem.

I'd pull the cover and check gear pattern and backlash, but that's just me.

·
Junior Charter Member
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks All! This forum is a life-saver!

I'll pull it apart this evening....it'll be about the 4th time - so it's getting pretty easy now.

DL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts