Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't notice this before I put the car in storage. But the rear end straps on both sides are maxed out. Ride height is at 5.25"all around till the suspension breaks in. Has anyone else had this problem? Are there longer straps that I can find and use? I really don't feel comfortable drilling new holes anywhere, or looking for different holes closer towards the pumpkin.

I know I can't be the only one who ran into this problem...or am I?

·
7,097 Posts
Go to autozone and buy some pick up truck tailgate straps from the HELP section. I don't recall exactly how long mine are, but if you take one of the limit straps with you, you will be able to judge from there.

Make sure you don't go too long though...don't want to over extend the brake line!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have yet to disconnect the straps and jack the frame up and let the rear end hang to see how long I need. The tail gate straps idea is pretty good. Now I need to figure out how to mill the holes out.

·
2,990 Posts
You should call FFR and ask the question. You don't want to exceed the drive shaft angle by leting the differential drop too far.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,700 Posts
Have you checked for driveshaft bind yet?jack the car up by the diff and put stands under the frame,put the trans in neutral.As you let the axle drop a little at a time,spin the axle so it spins the driveshaft.At some point you will feel the ujoints start to bind.jack it back up a little til it doesn't bind and this is as far down as the axle should be allowed to hang.Maybe you need straps to hold this distance and maybe you don't.Depends on your rear shocks and the rear trans mount.

·
Premium Member
2,588 Posts
Make your own limit straps. Go to ACE hardware, get the length of your want of whatever weight of chain you determine to be suitable. Then use a bicycle intertube, cut same lenght of chain. Slide the tube over the chain, and you have a custom limit strap. The intertube will keep the chain from rattling, will keep it from collecting a lot of crud, and you can bolt the limit strap from whatever points that you want. By the way did i mention that this is cheap and effective?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts