Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What cars and trucks can I use the gear set out of for my stock 89 gt donor rear? thanks kris

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Yo Kris!! I researched this pretty hard before I bought my 3.73. As long as its an 8.8 it will work which includs most F150 trucks also. The problem is most used ones dont have a better ratio than what you all ready have and junk yards want to sell the whole axle assembly not just the ring and pinion. I got mine off ebay used for 40.00 and a bearing and shim set for 69.00. Lex

·
Senior Charter Member
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats up Lex,
Its hard to beat 40 dollars. My buddy has a few rangers,ford vans and one full size ford truck. If what I need is in one of those it will be free.
What did most of the full size f-150s have. later man,kris

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
My F150 is peretty standard 2003 and its a 3.27. I think thats what most trucks use. A few might have a 3.56. I'm not sure about a ranger. Be sure thier not 7.5's. Lex

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
'88 T-Bird Turbo Coupes have 3.55 (manual) or 3.73 (automatic). I'm not sure what other years. I used the entire rear end.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
About the largest you will find in a stock mustang will be 323's with most being 273 or 308's. All the 8.8's used the same gears but the trucks used a heavyer spring on the clutch paks so be aware if swapping entire diffs.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
I used the truck springs (along with an extra set of clutches) on a Trak-Lok rebuild for one of my Mustangs several years back. Supposedly made the rear lock up better: I don't think the truck diff is anything to worry about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts